CHECK SMARTS WEBSITE! Login!

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.

Re: CHECK SMARTS WEBSITE! Login!

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:So I was the one who found the loophole and told everyone. I was awarded, but I can tell you right now that your grades and test scores don't mean everything. I have a 3.18 at Texas A&M University, with my major being meteorology and minor in oceanography. I graduate in May and they will be funding my masters. My GRE scores for verbal was a 142 and math was a 151; I completely suck at standardized testing. But I nailed the interview, and my research, work experience, and my letters of rec is what helped me get in. So you don't have to be the best of the best to get this scholarship. They care about performance. They have seen me perform in my undergrad and saw how much I've done, so they awarded me. I'm completely shocked to be honest, because I was told by professors across the states that I wouldn't get it and I was wasting my time to even apply for it. So I'm telling you there is hope out there for you guys, because when I thought I was the least qualified based on GPA and GRE scores...I was awarded. So don't give up, because I didn't. I'm rooting for all of you!

So stating qualifications gets you nowhere. Just proven.
Wow congrats man! I really thought that most of awardees were going to be 4.0 or somethings but it is good to see that they are looking mainly on experience and relevance of the field of study. I was the "jerk" that posted the first qualifications (PhD in chemistry physics) and I want to apologize if I offended anyone, even though I firmly believe there is nothing to feel bad about, since I was not trying to humiliate anyone, just get a sense of where we stand. And I don't know about all of the others, but it helped get that sense. Now, I know that I might get the scholarship not based on my GPA but my experience and the relevance of my field (just as my recommendation letters). This have really gave hope! Thanks again!!!! And sorry if I have offended anyone.

Post by guest »

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:So I was the one who found the loophole and told everyone. I was awarded, but I can tell you right now that your grades and test scores don't mean everything. I have a 3.18 at Texas A&M University, with my major being meteorology and minor in oceanography. I graduate in May and they will be funding my masters. My GRE scores for verbal was a 142 and math was a 151; I completely suck at standardized testing. But I nailed the interview, and my research, work experience, and my letters of rec is what helped me get in. So you don't have to be the best of the best to get this scholarship. They care about performance. They have seen me perform in my undergrad and saw how much I've done, so they awarded me. I'm completely shocked to be honest, because I was told by professors across the states that I wouldn't get it and I was wasting my time to even apply for it. So I'm telling you there is hope out there for you guys, because when I thought I was the least qualified based on GPA and GRE scores...I was awarded. So don't give up, because I didn't. I'm rooting for all of you!

So stating qualifications gets you nowhere. Just proven.
Wow congrats man! I really thought that most of awardees were going to be 4.0 or somethings but it is good to see that they are looking mainly on experience and relevance of the field of study. I was the "jerk" that posted the first qualifications (PhD in chemistry physics) and I want to apologize if I offended anyone, even though I firmly believe there is nothing to feel bad about, since I was not trying to humiliate anyone, just get a sense of where we stand. And I don't know about all of the others, but it helped get that sense. Now, I know that I might get the scholarship not based on my GPA but my experience and the relevance of my field (just as my recommendation letters). This have really gave hope! Thanks again!!!! And sorry if I have offended anyone.
How many interviews did you get mate ??

Anon011011

Post by Anon011011 »

The award portal is opennn !!

go to https://smart.asee.org/award and login

Post by guest »

They are also sending out emails now.

Guestwhoitis

Post by Guestwhoitis »

I did receive the award.

Cumulative GPA: 3.18
Last 60 Credit Hours: 3.5
Undergrad: Engineering Physics
M.S: Computational Science
GRE: 152 Math 146 Verbal

Anon011011

Post by Anon011011 »

Guestwhoitis wrote:I did receive the award.

Cumulative GPA: 3.18
Last 60 Credit Hours: 3.5
Undergrad: Engineering Physics
M.S: Computational Science
GRE: 152 Math 146 Verbal
Do you mind updating the 2016 recipients thread ?