[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Unofficial SMART Scholarship Forum • View topic - ** UPDATED ** My Experience with the Application Process

** UPDATED ** My Experience with the Application Process

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.

** UPDATED ** My Experience with the Application Process

Postby Chris Moulder » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:11 pm

Last edited by Chris Moulder on Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chris Moulder

Re: My Experience with the Application Process

Postby LiveAndLearn » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:11 pm

I am applying for the smart scholarship, but I am stuck on how to format my goals. Do you have a sample?
LiveAndLearn

Postby UF_ME » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:49 am

Thank you so much for creating this forum and posting your experiences with the application process it is VERY helpful
UF_ME

Postby cgravga » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:12 pm

Hello,

I will be applying to the SMART scholarship next year as a junior in a combined BS-MS degree in Bioengineering. I have been searching through the sponsoring facilities and have not been able to identify which field I should be considering. I have looked at both the Biosci and systems engineering fields though it is a bit difficult to determine the actual projects some bases are working on. Would you suggest contacting the facilities directly to inquire further? I, too, want to thank you for this forum.

-cgravga
cgravga

Postby Engineer » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:02 am

I already have an ROTC scholarship lined up, but am not yet committed (started). If I do not get the SMART scholarship this year, I cannot do it later due to the commitment I will need to make to ROTC. Somewhere in the application should I mention this is the only available year for me?
Engineer

Postby Engineer » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:07 am

What is the best way to identify the technologies and platforms being developed at each of the various research labs? Without good information it is difficult to downselect to the top three choices for the application.
Engineer

Postby Engineer » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:11 am

Is there a bias for candidates closer to graduation? This, of course, would allow more scholarships since the costs are reduced.
Engineer

Postby ty » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:52 am

"It is imperative that you select preferred facilities that are relevant to your field of study. When the application database is searched, facilities will be looking for those who have selected them as an option. Given the number of applications, do not place your bets on anyone selecting you if you have not pre-selected them. You can find facility descriptions here: http://smart.asee.org/sponsoring_facilities"

I was an unselected alternate last year, I wonder this was the fault of my random selection of facilities.... I am applying this year again- I will make sure to read up on these facilities this time around;)

Thank you very much!
ty

Postby megan » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:10 pm

Only five days away from the deadline (four business) and I am really worried that my SAT scores will not get there in time. The college board said that they were sent electronically, so shouldn't they have been there almost immediately? Will my application be considered not complete if the scores are not there by the time of the deadline? Because they are on their way. That would be horrible.

I just received the information on this scholarships a few weeks ago from the engineering department at my college, so I haven't had a lot of time to prepare and send scores.
megan

Postby jlit » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:50 pm

I am a freshmen applying for the program. I earned a 3.1 gpa in high school which I know isn't very strong but still passes the minim. I have since gotten my act together and am expecting a gpa of 3.75 to 4.0 for the first semester of college assuming I do well on finals. I saw that you said only the top half of applicants are taken and I was curious if you knew if they would seriously look at my application or simply sort it by gpa and drop mine because of high school.
jlit

Re: post graduation pay?

Postby Ron » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:02 pm

Okay, I have just submitted my application. I am a bit of a unique graduate student. I'm a veterinarian and I've just completed a residency in veterinary pathology and am continuing work towards my PhD which I'll finish ~2012. Upon graduation my salary range for positions that I qualify for would be between 80,000 (government (FDA, USDA etc.) or academia to ~120,000 or above (pharmaceutical industry). So, I am curious what kind of pay rate I could expect for my post-graduation pay durring my service comittment. Does anyone know how to find this out?
Ron

Postby frogman » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:40 am

When you applied, was your GPA near the bottom of the 3.0 requirement? What year were you when you applied?
frogman

Postby Chris Moulder » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:02 am

Chris Moulder

Postby Chris Moulder » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:31 am

Chris Moulder

Post Graduate Pay

Postby Ron » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:42 am

Chris:
Thanks so much for all of your efforts in answer questions and providing information. It's really appreciated.

Happy Holidays,
Ron
Ron

Postby Mathew » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:28 pm

Thanks for all the great information. Thankfully I have done everything correctly for I submitted my application today and just found this website. You seem to know the GPA average so I was wondering if you knew the ACT average for recipients? I myself had a 3.5 GPA in High School, currently a 4.0 in College, and a 26 on my ACT. Now granted I am only a Freshman and only have 12 Credits the 4.0 was not difficult to achieve but they are Core Classes such as Pre-cal, Trig, and Western Civ. Also one of my References is my current Calculus Teacher. How would you rate my chances of being awarded a scholarship?

Thanks
Mathew

Postby Chris Moulder » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:14 pm

Chris Moulder

Postby Mathew » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:33 pm

Thanks, if I dont make it through this year I will reapply next year and hopefully keep my GPA as high as I can. Paying for that sophmore year at Auburn isnt going to be cheap though.
Mathew

Postby froshlastyear » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:03 pm

It seemed like a lot of Freshmen were selected to be "Alternates" last year. I was one of them. I have kept my GPA up, and engaged in some on-campus research and I am crossing my fingers for that I get selected this year.

@Chris,

Is it true that 50% of candidates make the first cut? But the scholarship only had an 11% percent acceptance rate, that means nearly 80% of those who make the first cut don't get selected.

I am not sure if you discussed this elsewhere but what is your take at what an Alternate actually is? No alternate on CC got selected, so I am thinking it is just a designation for the people who made the cut, but were not selected.

Thanks!
froshlastyear

Postby Chris Moulder » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:28 pm

Chris Moulder

Postby SMARTengineer » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:12 am

SMARTengineer

Postby nick » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:33 pm

will the scholarship progrm accept applicants who are attending a junior college and plan on trasferring to a university?
nick

Postby Chris Moulder » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:59 pm

Chris Moulder

Postby bill m » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:48 am

Hi, I am currently a sophomore in college, but I am going to be transferring to a different college next semester. Any idea if this hurts my chances since I haven't "established" myself at the University for which the SMART Scholarship is being sought? I have done well at my current school, but I just didn't know if my chances are hurt at all since I will be attending a different school next semester.
bill m

Postby Chris Moulder » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:40 pm

Chris Moulder

Next

Return to General Questions and the Application