Pre-emptive SMART Interview E-Mail Discussion

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
rmw228

Pre-emptive SMART Interview E-Mail Discussion

Post by rmw228 »

Just figured I would start this thread so we can figure out when/who/how the SMART interview e-mails are going out.

I haven't received an e-mail (yet?) and apologize to anyone whose heart fell through the floor when they saw this thread.

BROCKMAE

Re: Pre-emptive SMART Interview E-Mail Discussion

Post by BROCKMAE »

isn't this fun...

bravefencer

Post by bravefencer »

hah F5 F5 F5

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

I highly doubt the email will be sent anytime soon. Remember our semi-finalist emails were sent out late in the afternoon.

Guest - Retention Candidate

Post by Guest - Retention Candidate »

Yah it was like 6pm eastern time, but I guess I can understand since NPS is obviously 3 hours behind. This last week of waiting is getting me pretty rowdy though...I will just emote that for myself and you fellow compatriots. I gotta decline my school's package soon and definitely would like to know as soon as possible!!

I'm thinking of self-medicating...

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Haha, yeah I'm pretty sure we are all going to be on edge until the 31st. I hope we do hear for sure confirmation on the 31st because I am getting my wisdom teeth removed the next morning. haha

rmw228

Post by rmw228 »

I think the worst part is that it's not really clear what an interview from SMART means. I figure it could mean one of two things:

1. You're in! We just want to call you up and make sure you're not an idiot.

2. It's neck and neck and this is the tie breaker.

So I figure that if I get an interview, I have a chance. If I don't get an interview then I may just be that awesome, or I may not even be worth their time.

spny517

Post by spny517 »

I was reading the other forum on college confidential, and there were many SMART awardees who never got an interview.

Post by Guest »

spny517 wrote:I was reading the other forum on college confidential, and there were many SMART awardees who never got an interview.
Really? That's actually really reassuring.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

I did receive an interview from a facility and I'm nervous as heck, I couldn't begin to imagine the stress of those who did not.

Post by Guest »

This email is to inform you that you are a Recommended Semi-Finalist for an award under the SMART Program. Please be aware there are many more Recommended Semi-Finalists than available awards thus this email is not be construed as an award offer. Only official award notifications sent by the American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE) are legally binding award offers. This is not an official award notification. No other offer, promise, or implied promise of an award made verbally or in writing constitutes a valid award offer.

NEXT STEP: Each Recommended Semi-Finalists is required to complete a phone interview with a SMART Program Office representative. This interview is mandatory. Candidates that do not complete the interview will be disqualified and removed from award consideration.
I got the email at 5pm Eastern, about a phone interview on Monday. The phone interview period is March 22-March 26, 2010. Anybody know what this phone interview is about?

Post by Guest »

darn...i didnt get the email

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Would you say that the email was personally directed to you? Just wondering if it was a mass email or not. If not then they will probably not all be sent at the same time. But from that quote we can come to the conclusion that if we don't receive a similar email then we have not been selected.

sad guest

Post by sad guest »

From what Moulder has told us, its just to make sure you are willing to agree to the service commitment, and to take care of any anomalies with your application.

Post by Guest »

anyone else get the email?

SMART Interview E-Mail

Post by Guest »

This email is to inform you that you are a Recommended Semi-Finalist for an award under the SMART Program. Please be aware there are many more Recommended Semi-Finalists than available awards thus this email is not be construed as an award offer. Only official award notifications sent by the American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE) are legally binding award offers. This is not an official award notification. No other offer, promise, or implied promise of an award made verbally or in writing constitutes a valid award offer.

NEXT STEP: Each Recommended Semi-Finalists is required to complete a phone interview with a SMART Program Office representative. This interview is mandatory. Candidates that do not complete the interview will be disqualified and removed from award consideration.

· Your interview has been scheduled for ?:??:00 PM on ??????, March ??, 2010. PLEASE NOTE THIS IS A PACIFIC STANDARD TIME. A representative will call you. If you are not available at this time, please contact ASEE at smart@asee.org.

Please note; the phone interview period is March 22-March 26, 2010. There are a limited number of interview times available. If you need to reschedule this appointment please contact ASEE immediately.

· Persons with disabilities requiring alternate interview arrangements should contact ASEE immediately so appropriate accommodations can be arranged.

· It is the applicant’s responsibility to be available the day, time, and at the phone number specified above or to contact ASEE to reschedule the appointment for an alternate time during the phone interview period.

We congratulate you on your success thus far.

The ASEE SMART Scholarship Program Team
c/o American Society for Engineering Education
1818 N St. NW
Suite 600
Washington, DC 20036
Email: smart@asee.org

Post by guest »

This sucks!!!

loser

Post by loser »

If the time is scheduled in the email, then it most likely had to of been individually sent right? So some might not get it until Monday???

Here's to the last hope of the desperate applicants

no email

Post by no email »

loser wrote:If the time is scheduled in the email, then it most likely had to of been individually sent right? So some might not get it until Monday???

Here's to the last hope of the desperate applicants
hah love the optimism...oh well lets hope you're right

Post by Guest »

Can the first and secon posters who got the email let us know exactly what time it came in? That will let us know if it was a mass mailing or not. Thank you so much!

Post by Guest »

It says 4:59PM (eastern). I'm the first poster.

Post by Guest »

Thank you, first poster! Second poster, or anyone else? You don't have to register to post, just hit "reply". =)

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Well no email here yet and it kinda confuses me, I did receive an interview from a facility and from that interview I got the impression that he was going to submit my name for recommendation. :/

Post by Guest »

No email here yet either. I don't know if I should be disappointed just yet or maybe the emails are going out more slowly now since they are individualized. Congratulations to all those who got an email, and to any who have not yet, still 30 min until COB Pacific time right?

Post by Guest »

I wonder if they will be sending out an email to those that did not get selected for the interview so we do not worry that we might miss the email and forfeit the interview. I'd rather know I wasn't selected than worry all weekend that I might not have received an email.