Will there be internships this summer?

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
summer2021

Will there be internships this summer?

Post by summer2021 »

My SF department is remote and are not expected to return until "early next year".

Any speculation on if there will be internships this summer?

human234895

Re: Will there be internships this summer?

Post by human234895 »

I asked several months ago and SMART said they wouldn't really talk about it until 2021. For paperwork and logistical reasons, they need to know by around March because that's when we'd typically be working on arrangements for ISPs. If your facility is operating on-site by then, you would supposedly do an internship. I'll probably start bugging SMART about this again in January or early February because the housing market around my SF is brutal.

gobblegobble

Post by gobblegobble »

Wondering this too now. Last summer I waited too long to find housing and really screwed myself out of anything decent. Luckily for me, the internship got canceled, but I don’t want to bet on that again this year. I just found a great place and want to snatch it while it’s still available, so I’m wondering what the odds are.

ky502

Post by ky502 »

summer2021 wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:14 pm
My SF department is remote and are not expected to return until "early next year".

Any speculation on if there will be internships this summer?
Ask your SF if they would be willing to have you as a remote intern, or (if they are in person right now) if they will have you as a regular intern. If your SF is willing to take you, tell your SMART contact immediately. SMART has let me do weird internship schedules (like not during the summer) because of how my school worked and because my SF agreed to it. Since your SF doesn't pay you directly, they may accept you as a virtual intern. And your internship money is already in SMART's hands, so I don't see how they could prevent you from being a virtual intern with your SF's support and a persuasive argument about a chance to learn about the new virtual world we live in or the opportunity to adapt to the evolving workplace.