Cumulative GPA - New Scholar

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
mdavid

Cumulative GPA - New Scholar

Post by mdavid »

The current semester is my first semester as a smart scholar. I am wondering how the GPA is calculated for SMART's requirements. Does it factor in previous semesters, or only semesters after the award is received. The reason I am asking is because my current academic year is considered to be the most difficult for my engineering major at my school. It is not uncommon for a students GPA for both semesters to be under a 3.0 this year and for other years to balance it out. I did well my freshman year and am hoping that that is factored in. Any insight would be appreciated.

smart

Re: Cumulative GPA - New Scholar

Post by smart »

From the SMART 2020 Handbook:
9.3. Minimum GPA Requirement
Scholars maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale from the academic institution(s) for
which they receive SMART funding. After a SMART award is funded, only the grades for the degree
funded by SMART are used to calculate GPA. If the scholar fails to maintain the required GPA, the
scholar may be placed in an auditable status of non-compliance and/or dismissed from the SMART
Program.

Post by Guest »

I think that part of the handbook is pretty vague. So, the entire cumulative GPA for the university where the degree is being funded is what counts? But, after the award, they only look at degree relevant course? I assume this is to avoid electives to boost the GPA?

mdavid

Post by mdavid »

Guest wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:33 pm
I think that part of the handbook is pretty vague. So, the entire cumulative GPA for the university where the degree is being funded is what counts? But, after the award, they only look at degree relevant course? I assume this is to avoid electives to boost the GPA?

This is what I was asking. I have read the handbook and agree it is vague. Anyone that can answer this or provide insight, please do.

petzold

Post by petzold »

They will use whatever is listed as the cum GPA on your current university transcript. For example, if you started SMART in your junior year, your cum GPA on your transcript would (I'm assuming) also include your Freshman and Sophomore years, even though they weren't funded by SMART. So to answer your question, yes, the previous non-SMART-funded semesters are considered (so long as it's the same degree and university). Hope this helps?