Strategies for Changing SF

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
clueless

Strategies for Changing SF

Post by clueless »

In the next few months, I will need to request moving SF due to my husband's job relocating. And no, there isn't a way for me to stay behind or for him to quit his job; the situation requires us both to go.

People who have successfully changed SF: can you walk me through how you did it? I have read on this forum general advice like "just get a new job and tell them after" or "I asked my SF and then SMART and they both agreed". I would really like to know the "how".

Who did you ask at your SF, what did you say to your SF, how did your SF react, who did you contact at SMART, what did you say to SMART, how did SMART react, did SMART have paperwork for you to sign, did your SF have to sign paperwork, when in the process did you find your next job (before, after, during), how long was the process, etc.?

Since SMART doesn't have regulations in the handbook about how to change your SF, I want to try to follow in the footsteps of people who have transferred successfully. It would also be nice to know what I am walking into in terms of paperwork and length of time. Thanks!

toferkey

Re: Strategies for Changing SF

Post by toferkey »

I never changed SF, but some of my colleagues inquired with SMART about it. I'm assuming you are phase 1 and not yet hired at the SF. If so, I would just email your SMART Component liaison and ask them about it, it doesn't do your status any harm. My colleagues who were in phase 2, had emailed SMART to get the details on changing SF after getting hired (They ended up not leaving). From them I heard that it's mostly on you to contact possible SF's and inquire yourself to see if they will sponsor you, but I imagine that someone could connect you with contacts. I would really just reach out to SMART, it won't penalize you for asking.

clueless

Post by clueless »

toferkey wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:01 pm
I never changed SF, but some of my colleagues inquired with SMART about it. I'm assuming you are phase 1 and not yet hired at the SF. If so, I would just email your SMART Component liaison and ask them about it, it doesn't do your status any harm. My colleagues who were in phase 2, had emailed SMART to get the details on changing SF after getting hired (They ended up not leaving). From them I heard that it's mostly on you to contact possible SF's and inquire yourself to see if they will sponsor you, but I imagine that someone could connect you with contacts. I would really just reach out to SMART, it won't penalize you for asking.
I am Phase 2, having started this summer.

Do you know if it has to be an already existing SF? The nearest SF facilities are at least 2 hours away from our new location. Also, do they have to agree to sponsor me? It isn't the new location just hiring me as an employee?

anonymousguy

Post by anonymousguy »

I've successfully changed SF. To make the process as smooth and painless as possible, I recommend notifying someone at your SF that you which to change and someone at the SF you which to change to. It will help to already get hired at the new SF, but if you don't have a connection to the SF of your choice it is likely someone at your current SF does and can connect you. Please stay professional as possible in your communication with both SF's, as your SF's will be the ones dealing with SMART and making sure your transfer goes through smoothly.

scheffc

Post by scheffc »

I successfully changed my SF last year due to extenuating circumstances.

I performed a summer internship at my initial SF last summer and it did not go well for both personal and professional reasons. At my exit interview, the SMART site rep asked if I still wanted to work at the facility and I said no. We then started the process to find me a new SF. Due to my extenuating circumstances, my manager, technical mentor, and SMART rep were all supportive of me transferring to a new facility.

I then worked with my SMART site rep to identify a handful of SF I would be interested in joining. To make it simpler, I stayed in the same branch of the military (it's easier to transfer within branches). I also started networking on my own, as I knew what facility I wanted to join. I was lucky in that the research I worked on during that summer introduced me to a new area of study and I was invited to an update meeting at the facility I wanted to join. While there, I networked with the department head who was running the meeting and convinced her to sponsor me for SMART / hire me into her group. From there, I had my initial SF agreeing to me transferring and a new SF agreeing to accept me.

I had to write a letter to SMART explaining my situation and why I was asking for a transfer. In the end, my transfer was approved and I had to fill out an adjustment form to my SMART commitment to change my SF.

I also successfully extended my SMART commitment last year, as I needed one more year of funding to (hopefully) finish my PhD.

I'd be happy to discuss it in more details if you have any questions.

clueless

Post by clueless »

scheffc wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:54 pm

I performed a summer internship at my initial SF last summer and it did not go well for both personal and professional reasons. At my exit interview, the SMART site rep asked if I still wanted to work at the facility and I said no. We then started the process to find me a new SF. Due to my extenuating circumstances, my manager, technical mentor, and SMART rep were all supportive of me transferring to a new facility.

I then worked with my SMART site rep to identify a handful of SF I would be interested in joining. To make it simpler, I stayed in the same branch of the military (it's easier to transfer within branches). I also started networking on my own, as I knew what facility I wanted to join. I was lucky in that the research I worked on during that summer introduced me to a new area of study and I was invited to an update meeting at the facility I wanted to join. While there, I networked with the department head who was running the meeting and convinced her to sponsor me for SMART / hire me into her group. From there, I had my initial SF agreeing to me transferring and a new SF agreeing to accept me.

I had to write a letter to SMART explaining my situation and why I was asking for a transfer. In the end, my transfer was approved and I had to fill out an adjustment form to my SMART commitment to change my SF.

I also successfully extended my SMART commitment last year, as I needed one more year of funding to (hopefully) finish my PhD.

The moment is here; I have started the process since we now have details about our move. Your answer was very helpful to me. Two questions I do have as the process starts: did you have to pick an already established SF and was a different branch offered? The nearest SF is over 2 hours away and the nearest same branch SF is over 3 hours away; both would require paying rent in both cities, which wouldn't work on a government salary. I am curious if I am between a rock and another, harder rock.

SMARTScholarGirl

Post by SMARTScholarGirl »

clueless wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:23 am
scheffc wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:54 pm

The moment is here; I have started the process since we now have details about our move. Your answer was very helpful to me. Two questions I do have as the process starts: did you have to pick an already established SF and was a different branch offered? The nearest SF is over 2 hours away and the nearest same branch SF is over 3 hours away; both would require paying rent in both cities, which wouldn't work on a government salary. I am curious if I am between a rock and another, harder rock.
When I transferred SF, the main requirement they gave to me was that it had to be within the same branch and was already enrolled in the SMART program. Given your unique situation, they may try to work with you, but it's doubtful. I wish you luck! Let us know how it goes!