Sponsoring facility not able to hire

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
JBerg139

Sponsoring facility not able to hire

Post by JBerg139 »

Has anyone completed the program and had to work for another facility because your sponsoring facility couldn't hire you on due to them not having a spot?

anonymousguy

Re: Sponsoring facility not able to hire

Post by anonymousguy »

What facility if you don't mind me asking? I know a few who are hiring if you would like to make the switch as well.

SameBoatNotAfloat

Post by SameBoatNotAfloat »

I’m in this very situation currently!

According to my experiences and the communication I’ve had with SMART:

- the first thing they do is try to find a different job at the same SF you can fill. According to my original SF, they have had electrical engineering undergrads need to be hired into industrial engineering jobs or moving into different offices than the one they were originally assigned.
- The next thing they will do (after your SF confirms that they cannot place you and have exhausted all options) is SMART will have your service liaison look for placement within your service branch. If nothing works there they move onto the entire DoD under SMART, to find a job you can fill for the length of your service commitment.
- If a new SF can hire you, I believe they have you sign a new SSA and then the coordination for jobs and start dates is with the new SF. They do ask scholars to be geographically mobile from the very beginning so I’m not sure how much flexibility they will have if you hate the new SF. I doubt you get to reject it or do a site visit like when you’re first awarded.

I don’t have much information after this point because this is where we are stuck with my case. I’m assuming that if they can’t place a scholar and they get dismissed at no fault of their own, they wouldn’t have to pay it back. I’d like to know how long they have to tell me where I’m going before they have to bite the bullet and dismiss me. I have a little less than 2 months until graduation and I’ll need to move. My husband also needs to start looking for jobs sooooo....

Sisyphus

Post by Sisyphus »

SameBoatNotAfloat wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:42 pm
I’m assuming that if they can’t place a scholar and they get dismissed at no fault of their own, they wouldn’t have to pay it back. I’d like to know how long they have to tell me where I’m going before they have to bite the bullet and dismiss me.
While in theory that's how it's supposed to work, there has been at least one documented case I'm aware of of SMART failing to reassign a participant after pulling them from their original SF due to a hostile work environment, failing to assign him a new SF, and trying to stick him with the bill regardless. He was able to successfully dispute it SMART is empirically proven to do the wrong thing a certain % of the time...

Also, barring rules changes that would clarify it that I'm unaware of, those sorts of choices of how long to wait are up to "SPO discretion" so they can feel free to make you wait as long as they like.

SameBoatNotAfloat

Post by SameBoatNotAfloat »

Sisyphus wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:59 pm
SameBoatNotAfloat wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:42 pm
I’m assuming that if they can’t place a scholar and they get dismissed at no fault of their own, they wouldn’t have to pay it back. I’d like to know how long they have to tell me where I’m going before they have to bite the bullet and dismiss me.
While in theory that's how it's supposed to work, there has been at least one documented case I'm aware of of SMART failing to reassign a participant after pulling them from their original SF due to a hostile work environment, failing to assign him a new SF, and trying to stick him with the bill regardless. He was able to successfully dispute it SMART is empirically proven to do the wrong thing a certain % of the time...

Also, barring rules changes that would clarify it that I'm unaware of, those sorts of choices of how long to wait are up to "SPO discretion" so they can feel free to make you wait as long as they like.
@Sisyphus, Unfortunately I can’t say I am surprised considering some of the other stories of SMART program mismanagement or abuse. I also think you’re right about making the scholar wait however long the program wants as I can’t find anything saying otherwise. This isn’t even the craziest issue I’ve had with the program and it’s only been Phase I. I’m just hoping whatever they do, it’s over quick and I don’t owe $250k.