Coronavirus and Internships

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
Engineer-in-training

Coronavirus and Internships

Post by Engineer-in-training »

Have anybody got any massage regarding coronavirus affecting internships? I read that DoD has restricted local travel. Hope everyone is safe!

aqzws

Re: Coronavirus and Internships

Post by aqzws »

I'm a semi-finalist and have a NREIP internship coming up this summer in San Diego. I hope the coronavirus will not interfere with my internship.

Blondeycas23

Post by Blondeycas23 »

I can't imagine internships will be fulfilled. DoD travel (to include DoD civilians AND contractors) is restricted through May 11, ATM.
Most DoD employees are teleworking as well. Any scholar who has an internship that it supposed to begin around this time period should also be restricted from traveling.

SMART just sent out an email basically stating that they aren't sure how to proceed, but I can't imagine they would force us to travel at this time.

2018 Rec

Post by 2018 Rec »

What do you guys think about teleworking? This will be my second internship and its possible to telework at my base. Seems like a possible alternative.

aqzws

Post by aqzws »

Blondeycas23 wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:55 pm
I can't imagine internships will be fulfilled. DoD travel (to include DoD civilians AND contractors) is restricted through May 11, ATM.
Most DoD employees are teleworking as well. Any scholar who has an internship that it supposed to begin around this time period should also be restricted from traveling.

SMART just sent out an email basically stating that they aren't sure how to proceed, but I can't imagine they would force us to travel at this time.

I wonder if summer internships could be fulfilled remotely? I am in the psychological field so a lot of our work can be done from home.

Post by Guest »

I’m praying our internships are still on 🙏 I was so excited for this summer ☹️

ttdub

Post by ttdub »

Hopefully everyone received the email that internships were waived for this summer.

PeterTheAnteater

Post by PeterTheAnteater »

I have been trying to contact SMART about my summer internship with regards to the coronavirus, but I have not gotten any responses. Does anyone know what is happening? I am supposed to intern at DIA starting in July. Should I prepare for my summer internship or look for other options this summer?

ttdub

Post by ttdub »

Received April 2nd,

"Hello SMART Scholar,

By now, you should have received an email, containing COVID-19 information and guidance from the SMART Program Manager. A key piece of this guidance was regarding COVID-19’s impact on upcoming planned internships.

This email contains important information, elaborating on that guidance. Please use the following rules when determining your ability to intern this summer:

All internships for the summer of 2020 will be waived.
If the distance between your summer address and sponsoring facility location, as outlined on your Internship Request is less than 50 miles, and you would like to complete the internship during the summer, you will need approval from both your sponsoring facility and the SMART Program. If your sponsoring facility has provided written support for an internship, please contact your Scholar Coordinator (smartscholar@smartscholarship.org) as soon as possible to request an internship. Each internship request will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. If the distance between your summer address and sponsoring facility location, as outlined on your Internship Request is greater than 50 miles, requests to complete your internship will not be approved.
If your internship is waived and you do not complete a summer 2020 internship, you may consider one or more of the following alternatives:
If you are interested in participating in an alternatively timed internship that would not impact your academic pursuit and graduation timeline, please contact your please to contact your Scholar Coordinator (smartscholar@smartscholarship.org). Additional guidance on alternatively timed internships is provided below.
In lieu of an internship, if you choose to enroll in summer courses (remote or in-person), please to contact your Scholar Coordinator (smartscholar@smartscholarship.org) as soon as possible. Additional guidance on summer enrollment and additional tuition is provided below.
If you choose to partake in outside employment, please inform your Scholar Coordinator (smartscholar@smartscholarship.org) as soon as possible, in order to ensure compliance. Additional guidance on outside employment is provided below.
Alternatively Timed Internships
Section 11.2 of the SMART Scholar Handbook dictates that “Scholars with alternative academic schedules… may receive alternative timing or internship lengths upon prior approval of the SMART Program.” Alternatively timed internships are requested via a Service Agreement Amendment Request and are considered on a case-by-case basis.

Additional Tuition and Enrollment
Typically, all additional enrollment (and accompanying tuition) – outside of the standard academic year – must be approved through a Service Agreement Amendment Request (SAAR), as outlined in Section 7.5 of the SMART Scholar Handbook. Due to the extenuating circumstances, SMART will waive this requirement. If you will be waiving your internship and plan on enrolling in summer courses, please contact your Scholar Coordinator as soon as possible. In lieu of a SAAR, a memo will be added to your record to indicate this waiver of the SAAR requirement. Please note, you are still required to keep SMART informed of any and all updates to your academic pursuit and graduation timeline. If any changes to said timeline result from additional enrollment, you must indicate such via an Award Length Change SAAR.

Outside Employment
Scholars who engage in outside employment, in lieu of their planned summer internship must ensure that employment complies with Section 5.9 of the SMART Scholar Handbook. The SMART Handbook bars SMART scholars from partaking in employment that is federally funded or funded through federal taskings (contracts with the United States government). If you do plan to partake in outside employment this summer, a Service Agreement Amendment Request (SAAR) is not needed, given the unique circumstances. You are however, required to inform your Scholar Coordinator of outside employment plans, to ensure compliance.

Best Regards,

SMART Team"