SMART Fundamental Program Change Proposal

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
Chris Moulder

Re: SMART Fundamental Program Change Proposal

Post by Chris Moulder »

Larry,

I wanted to thank you for joining the the board. It has been years since someone from the program office has posted anything.

I'm also interested in how the retention number is calculated. This is the first time I've heard an actual value.

Chris

Larry

Post by Larry »

I'll need to dig out how that number is calculated (eg, after what period) and get back to you.

There really are only a couple of questions regarding SMART:

1) Are the people we are attracting via SMART of higher quality than those we attract through other means?

2) Do they stay longer?

Both questions imply knowledge of workforce recruitment and retention. I don't have that data handy.

ATB
Larry

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Larry,

I agree with those 2 questions being key to evaluating the program. I would be interested in comparing recipients of the SMART Scholarship with recipients of the NDSEG Fellowship. Since the NDSEG is basically SMART without the service commitment, I would be curious if NDSEG Fellows, on their own, have tended more towards careers in the DoD following graduation.

And, maybe there's a middle ground where a scholarship program (SMART or NDSEG) requires internships during schooling, but does not require a post-graduation commitment (though, leaves open an opportunity if the student wants it). This gives students a clear look into DoD labs, while leaving the decision up to them upon graduation. Even though you may end up with less students joining labs than SMART (currently), the ones who do join would likely be much more enthusiastic/dedicated employees, which is really what the gov't should strive to have at all ranks...not just warm bodies. Or, alternatively, perhaps consider a 1 year "probationary" period when joining SMART, where the student has the right to leave the program (no payback required) after they have completed an internship and seen more clearly what they would be doing.

The reality is that a lot can change for any student from the time they commit to SMART to the time they graduate. Maybe their career interests change, maybe their personal circumstances change, etc etc. Ultimately, for some, the DoD may just not be a good fit after all. But, rather than try to "fight" the system, the student may just resolve to continue their gov't work simply because it brings a steady paycheck. Then, in 20 years, we're all left with mediocre DoD leadership from those who worked up the ranks "just because". Not something I would really look forward to as a US citizen!

Larry

Post by Larry »

Well, the good news is that the FERS and TSP retirement systems are totally portable. There is no reason to stick around after your commitment if you don't think it's in your best interest.

Post by Guest »

I completed a one year commitment then left. I'll be leaving my employer next year to go back to school again, and I'm planning on rolling my 401K back into my TSP account because the lifecycle funding is so cheap.

Still debating if I should cash out my FERS credit.

frustSMART

Post by frustSMART »

Maximus another thing to consider is that some of the complaints are coming from people not in a DoD lab, but instead in a different type of position (e.g., an acquisition position). I think the communication by Larry is welcome. I personally messed my situation up by listening to the wrong people, thus despite having to pay back some money after leaving early I'll probably end up doing that so I can look for a research position (which is unfortunate given I would have been willing to stay in a research position in the govt if I had the opportunity).
I think more clear leadership and answers for scholars in tough situations may be a good answer to problems in the future.

Larry

Post by Larry »

frustSMART wrote:Maximus another thing to consider is that some of the complaints are coming from people not in a DoD lab, but instead in a different type of position (e.g., an acquisition position). I think the communication by Larry is welcome. I personally messed my situation up by listening to the wrong people, thus despite having to pay back some money after leaving early I'll probably end up doing that so I can look for a research position (which is unfortunate given I would have been willing to stay in a research position in the govt if I had the opportunity).
I think more clear leadership and answers for scholars in tough situations may be a good answer to problems in the future.
I highly recommend finding a research position within DOD and transferring to it. There are such positions in all three services at their Labs (eg, ARL, AFRL, NRL) and at their engineering centers (RDECOM, ERDC, Navy Warfare Centers). If you can get hired by one of them, you can get your SMART commitment transferred.

frustSMART

Post by frustSMART »

Thank you for the advice Larry.
Since you're on here now, perhaps I can get some clarity on something I've been wondering (and a question I asked previously on the board, but went unanswered).
If one transfers after starting phase 2, can you do a transfer through the direct hiring authority, or do you have to do a competitive hire? One issue I've had in the (recent) past is that there didn't seem to be any competitive positions opening up as there is a more recent focus on postdoc programs.
(We could continue the conversation via PM to not hijack the thread).

Larry

Post by Larry »

If the facility you want to work at has "direct hire authority" (all of the "Demonstration Labs" should have it) then in theory your future supervisor can get you hired without going through USAJOBS.

This is not a SMART issue, but rather one for the HRO office where you are trying to move to.

ATB
Larry

guest_10

Post by guest_10 »

I'd like to try to revive this thread...

Larry,

Any updates on the progress of program changes being discussed or implemented?

Thank you

Larry

Post by Larry »

I don't want to get ahead of the SMART Program Manager, but last week she met with her team and the government reps from the services.

I don't expect current SMART Phase 1 or Phase 2 to see much in the way of changes except a quicker turn around on questions. They will be creating an updated FAQ and responding to questions on this forum by official channels.

Future scholars may see changes, but that's really for the service reps and the SPM to decide and make known.

ATB
Larry

And Happy Veterans Day!