Summer Internship

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
Guest2

Summer Internship

Post by Guest2 »

As far as I can tell, the summer internship page has not yet been updated. Does anyone know what form we are supposed to turn in on March 1st?

fish_

Re: Summer Internship

Post by fish_ »

i think it is this one.

since you have to coordinate with the SF, don't wait any longer.

http://smart.asee.org/assets/File/07121 ... equest.pdf

xkcd13

Post by xkcd13 »

This is an email from SMART I got on Tuesday (feb 21):

SMART has not yet received guidance on the new internship guidelines and the forms have not been updated. Please continue to hold off on submitting your request. We will send an update as soon as possible.

fish_

Post by fish_ »

thanks xkcd13. SMART is cutting it close. i hope there will be a reporting extension.

xkcd13

Post by xkcd13 »

Yeah, me too!

jramcam

Post by jramcam »

Dear SMART Participant,

We have not yet finalized the changes to the guidelines and processes. Therefore, the 1 March deadline for all internship documents and summer work schedules will no longer apply. A new deadline will be announced when we send out the updated paperwork.

Additionally, we know that some of you may be planning internships with your Sponsoring Facility that begin a little early. If your internship needs to begin earlier than 30 April, please email smart@nps.edu with the following information and your CA will follow up with you:

· The start and end dates of your internship
· The name and address of your sponsoring facility

Sincerely,

The SMART Program Office

That is the latest e-mail you should have received, I also asked my CA about the Internship Travel Request a couple of days prior to the deadline and the answer was: "As the new guidelines have not been specified, please do not submit any internship forms. The March 1 deadline is null now." I am kind of curious about what they are changing and why is it taking them so long to do that.

fish_

Post by fish_ »

part of the form deals with the length of internship; minimum of 8 weeks, max of 12. concerning vacations, SMART says that they do not want vacations to interrupt the internship. the sf said that it was ok with them though. anybody run into a problem with vacations?

2010scholar

Post by 2010scholar »

Vacations? Seriously?

Post by Guest »

This is starting to get really crappy. Hotel / motel / short term lease rates have gone up considerably in my area during the delay.

Recipient

Post by Recipient »

Guest wrote:This is starting to get really crappy. Hotel / motel / short term lease rates have gone up considerably in my area during the delay.
Mine too. But that's just Hawaii in general for you I guess. Last summer I paid 2000 a month. :/ looking like more this summer since they're cutting it closer.

xkcd13

Post by xkcd13 »

Does SMART pay tuition for summer internship too?