What happens if you don’t graduate right on time?

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
Croag

What happens if you don’t graduate right on time?

Post by Croag »

I’m planning on graduating in 2 years, and my award reflects that. However, Ive realized that due to pre-reqs I may have to take an extra semester for one last course, essentially extending my graduation by a semester. I am going to try and still do so in 2 years, but if this does happen, is it common to lose your scholarship because of it?

Phase 2 scholar

Re: What happens if you don’t graduate right on time?

Post by Phase 2 scholar »

You will need to submit a service agreement amendment request form (SAAR).

There are two options. You can apply for an extension of Phase I, which increases your Phase II service commitment time, or you can apply for a temporary leave of absence for the last semester (during which you would receive neither tuition nor stipend payments).

The form is within the SMART portal. Be sure to talk with your sponsoring facility about it. SMART will want to know that the two of you are on the same page. Once you've submitted it, you cross your fingers and hope it gets approved (it probably will, if SMART has funding available).

Phase II Scholar

Post by Phase II Scholar »

I should add, don't wait until the last semester to submit your SAAR. Try to get it in sometime between now and early fall next year at the very latest.

Croag

Post by Croag »

Thanks for the reply. Ended up talking with a counselor and they said that to make sure transfers can graduate in 2 years, there are workarounds to the pre-reqs. So, as it stands I should have a path to graduate on time. But I'll keep the SAAR in mind in case something else comes up later.