GPA

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
larsenjessie27

GPA

Post by larsenjessie27 »

Hello everyone. I had a question of a matter of GPA. I was at my previous university and ended up transferring to my current one, and I applied for the scholarship with my old GPA. My GPA has fallen below 3.0 due to severe anxiety attacks and other issues after transferring. At the end of this semester, I will most likely have a 2.8-2.9, and I am super worried about it because this is a huge opportunity for me and I really struggle financially. Is there anything that can be done about this, or is it too late? (Also I have just begun the process and had a site visit, I haven't received funding yet and am sending my transcripts soon.)

malarious

Re: GPA

Post by malarious »

Take summer courses, fast ones perhaps. Now I started smart under the previous managing group but SMART wants you to get in. I had a goal too low after my first year. They said take summer 1 classes... I hadn't gotten high enough. They said take summer two and they'd "lose" my paperwork for another month. This results in 2 months of pay, book and insurance funds all arriving in September if your GPA is high enough after.

Absolute panic mode would be to find the fewest credits that a 4.0 would make your GPA acceptable and find a faculty to help you with an accelerated independent study. If you can get a faculty to give you that many credits in any topic as a 1-3 week course (all needs special paperwork), you'll be at the 3.0. I cannot speak to the new group.

Ask your contact in SMART what happens if you missed the GPA target at start. They may give some options or say you'll probation (usually you probation if this happens later, but start of scholarship was special).