Outside federal funding

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients

Outside federal funding

Post by Guest »

I have a summer research opportunity with my university that is from a grant with the national institute of health. This is a paid position and the funding would end mid-August. Is this going to be a problem since federal funding must end by August 1st? Would anyone from SMART find out? Would I get kicked out?

malarious

Re: Outside federal funding

Post by malarious »

Yes, problem because it enters into August. If you could waive pay after July it'd be fine.

Would they find out? Unknown.

Would you be kicked out if they did? Most likely yes. You'd have shown to be dishonest, which can cost your clearance.

graduate student

Re: Outside federal funding

Post by graduate student »

Yes, this is a big deal and you need to talk to SMART ASAP.

I believe the issue here is a legal one. There are federal statutes designed to prevent you from "double-dipping" into two different government funds. Neither the SMART program nor the NIH will want to be in violation.

Fortunately, there's only half a month at issue, so they may be able to find a solution for you. (For example, they may have you fill out a Service Agreement Amendment Request to put you on a Leave of Absence until the NIH funding is or something.) But you need to email SMART and ask them for guidance on this. This WILL be a problem if you don't.