TA while SMART

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients

TA while SMART

Post by Guest »

Can we TA while receiving SMART?

Graduate Student

Re: TA while SMART

Post by Graduate Student »

The SMART program limits the number of hours you can work per week as a SMART scholar while taking classes. You can work as a TA as long as you stay under those hours.

I think TA positions that work 1/3 time (that's about 13 hours per week) are allowed, but 1/2 time (20 hours/week) TA positions are prohibited. But definitely check your SMART service agreement to confirm.

Regardless, make sure this time commitment does not undermine your academic progress. (Working as a TA can be an amazing experience, but it can also turn into quite the time sink.) It is important that you finish your degree on time so that you can transition to phase 2.

Re: TA while SMART

Post by Guest »

I was a lab TA my last year and a half in school.

Your hours are limited by the scholarship agreement (I can't remember the specific number), but what constitutes a full time or part time TA may differ from university to university. Simply put, I was limited to 1/2 time at my school. Just check what your school considers full time against what SMART requires.

I didn't find doing both too arduous. And having my own office space on campus was a plus.