Summer classes

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
Dilly

Summer classes

Post by Dilly »

Has anyone had luck getting SMART to pay for summer classes? If I don't take a couple this summer, I won't graduate on schedule.
Any tips would be welcome, because if I can't use Pell money, summer courses are stupid expensive and I don't wanna pay out of pocket!
Semi-finalist :)
At a state university - 3.90 GPA
Pursuing BS in civil engineering w/ minor in geology

Vandal

Re: Summer classes

Post by Vandal »

During the summer 2020 and 2021 COVID times SMART actually strongly "suggested" students take summer classes as there was no internship requirements. During summer 2021 I took a couple classes to keep busy over the summer since no internships were occuring and I was even able to get approval and everything set up for a pretty specific international course prior to SMARTs 2020 COVID suggestions, which was later canceled due to COVID but that's beside the point. Anyway, get approval from your SF that the summer course(s) would be of benefit to your work there, that taking the course doesn't impact any other SMART responsibilities, aka a summer internship, and you have a pretty good chance of getting it approved. It all comes down to presenting it to SMART that youre doing it to improve your worth to your SF and its beneficial to them to support it. Phrasing is everything. Best of luck!