Grad TA outside employment

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
Anonymous6318

Grad TA outside employment

Post by Anonymous6318 »

Am looking to become a grad TA for my university for my final year of my B.S./M.S. Officially, grad TA positions are 0.5FTE so 20 hours a week, but unofficially some grad TAs I know work less than that. Given that SMART restricts outside employment to 16 hours, is there any way around this with SAARs or other options if I still want to be a grad TA without withdrawing/getting dismissed from SMART?

guest009

Re: Grad TA outside employment

Post by guest009 »

I did the exact same thing, didn't tell SMART, and nobody noticed or cared. I wouldn't worry about it at all since they can't really track it. The intent of the rule is to make sure you focus on school and don't fail, but if you have good enough grades to be a TA then it shouldn't be a problem at all.

human234895

Post by human234895 »

I don't think so, but SMART will most likely approve that. I have an SAAR to up my outside employment to 20 hrs/wk for exactly that reason. Somebody on the discord said they've changed the rules such that it might not even be required anymore, but I haven't seen that.
Anonymous6318 wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:33 pm
Am looking to become a grad TA for my university for my final year of my B.S./M.S. Officially, grad TA positions are 0.5FTE so 20 hours a week, but unofficially some grad TAs I know work less than that. Given that SMART restricts outside employment to 16 hours, is there any way around this with SAARs or other options if I still want to be a grad TA without withdrawing/getting dismissed from SMART?

malarious

Post by malarious »

I would err on the side of caution, rather than hide things. You signed a contract, it isn't worth the hassle.

Worst case: VOLUNTEER for some of the TA time if you want it past 16 hours. You hopefully shouldn't need the income itself, but you should be able to limit "work" to 16 hours.