Pell Grant

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
Scared

Pell Grant

Post by Scared »

Does anyone know what happens if you did accept the pell grant. I thought I declined the grant, but when I went back it says accepted and I'm just now figuring it out halfway through the school year. What is the worst thing that will happen to me? Will I get booted from the program for this...

Bleep

Re: Pell Grant

Post by Bleep »

So for that one....I had been disbursed the grant because my financial aid office kept saying I was dumb and that I could not cancel my Pell. I had to hand these people the handbook where it clearly stated the reasons why I could not have the Pell Grant. The Pell was finally cancelled and I paid my Pell back. As to what happens. Some people told me I might get dismissed. Other than this, I know that tax season might get you by making you owe more on top of what you will owe from the scholarship. Unless you have a spouse and dependents and this is your only income. It's a lot of ifs. And I just didnt want to risk it so I did what I could to fix this part of the SMART contract. Up to you in the end. I know...the situation is poop.

malarious

Re: Pell Grant

Post by malarious »

Go back to the financial aid office and show them where you need to reject pell. Financial aid can remove it from your package, but you will owe that back if it was refunded to you. If it was not, they will cancel it and SMART will pay the other 5K.

Note that SMART is a payer of last resort, so you will basically never get a refund if SMART had to make a payment. The exception is loans.