Delayed Promotion

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients

Delayed Promotion

Post by Guest »

TL;DR
I should've been promoted to GS-09 by now, but my promotion hasn't gone through. Any advice? Also, does anyone know where I can find my full employment contract?

I was hired on the GS-07/09/11/12 track about 7 months ago. I was told by my SF that my promotion to GS-09 would be 6 months post hire and be an automatic promotion (barring any training violations or red flags). At my mid-year review, I asked my leadership to confirm that I was green for promotion and didn't need to do anything for my promotion to go through and they confirmed again that the promotion should come in automatically. Then, a couple weeks ago my flight commander told me that I needed to complete and sign off on an impromptu training plan in order for my promotion to go though (which I completed and returned same day). This pay period starts my 7th month working at this SF and I still do not have an SF-50 for my promotion. I've escalated the issue beyond my flight commander, but it's become very frustrating. The fact that my promotion didn't go through "automatically" sets back my entire promotion schedule by X amount of pay periods (however long it takes them to get it fixed) and they don't think it will be put in retroactively so I will be out that money ($300+/pay period) as well.

Does anyone have any advice for me? Also, do you know where I can find my full employment contract, or where the GS-07/09/11/12 promotion ladder is laid out? I'm not sure if anything was ever conveyed to me in writing, or if it was all verbal. I've been searching in MyBiz, and I can't seem to find it there, and my USAJOBS account no longer has the NEW HIRE paperwork associated to my account. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Delayed Promotion

Post by Guest »

I don't know if this was ever resolved for you, but I had a similar issue.

I was brought in at GS-9 thanks to my Master's and promised GS-11 after one year. One year came and went and I got the step increase but no grade increase. I brought this up to my team lead, my first line supervisor, and my branch chief over the next two months. They were all on board with me getting a raise, but didn't know what the hold up was. They escalated the issue to the Chief and Deputy Chief of Engineering and HR told them that I couldn't be promoted until my official annual review was submitted. That was finally completed three months after I expected the increase.

That said, the grade increase and pay raise finally came through in my last paycheck and it came with backpay to mid-February when I was supposed to have seen the raise the in the first place.