phd late conferral question

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
drewkuz

phd late conferral question

Post by drewkuz »

it is likely that i will have a few months between my defense and my conferral. does smart just pay me that time even though i'm not doing anything? will my pi need to say that i was working in the lab to smart?

thanks

Magikarp Patronus

Re: phd late conferral question

Post by Magikarp Patronus »

I don't think the SMART program keeps track of when your defense is scheduled for, so I would expect the payments would continue.

If you were trying to start work before your conferral date, I would be more concerned (there are likely some federal laws preventing you from being paid by the SMART government and your sponsoring facility at the same time), but in your case I don't see how there would be an issue.

But maybe someone else has actual experience on this, so you don't need to go off my speculation?

Sisyphus

Post by Sisyphus »

SMART only cares about your "degree conferral" date not your defense.

As far as the SPO is concerned, until official conferral by your university (even if you have successfully defended, deposited and completed all course requirements) you STILL have not actually gotten your PhD because...they're just stupid like that, and this is yet another instance that shows they have no real understanding of how graduate school actually works.

So if you're done 'early' just enjoy the few months in between your defense and deposit (hopefully you don't get "just one more chapter"-ed) and formally finishing to work on that sleep debt.

drewkuz

Post by drewkuz »

thanks.

so i guess that my pi doesn't have to confirm that i'm actually working, after my defense, as long as my conferral date matches up with what smart expects. i could certainly use a vacation anyway.