change my Award length?

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
Guest0405

change my Award length?

Post by Guest0405 »

I just got notified of the award.
I’m a Senior HS (incoming CompSci Freshman for Fall 2021), but I will have about about 33 college units completed by this semester. When I applied to Smart, I put my College Graduation as June 2025, but it looks like I will likely complete my BS requirements in 3 years only (so Graduation date of June 2024)

Does anyone know if I can still request Smart to change my award length to 3 years scholarship only?
I will also contact Smart and also the College advisor to get confirmation if I can graduate in 3 years.

ttdub

Re: change my Award length?

Post by ttdub »

you'll have the ability to submit a SAAR form to reduce the award year. they can take 6 months to process the paperwork but it's a pretty easy process to change the award length. it's faster to decrease the award compared to increasing it.

Guest0405

Post by Guest0405 »

Thanks so much for the input!
So I guess what would happen is I accept this award for a 4-year scholarship (before they even change their mind Lol 😊). Then I will continue to work with Smart office to request reduction of Award length (which could be a lengthy process).
The only thing is when I submit the Work Plan, I have to ask them what do I put in the 4th year if I’ve already completed my BS requirements at the end of 3 years.
I just recomputed my College Credits, and I would complete about 42 transferrable units by this semester (plus 3 more units that I plan to take in Summer).

Guest0405

Post by Guest0405 »

Just curious if any of you Smart scholars has actually requested this similar thing to reduce the award length by 1 year? How did it go?

cs here

Post by cs here »

My University is offering an accelerated Master's program it will just take me a year to get it done. Am I allow to just change my award length in the "Award Adjustment" portal of my SMART Award?

I am hearing that we can't not do that? then why tf they giving us that option anyways?

smartee

Post by smartee »

cs here wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:08 pm
My University is offering an accelerated Master's program it will just take me a year to get it done. Am I allow to just change my award length in the "Award Adjustment" portal of my SMART Award?

I am hearing that we can't not do that? then why tf they giving us that option anyways?
Because you would be getting a Masters, you would have to apply for follow-on funding. Award Adjustment is generally for if your BS is going to take longer (I had to add 1 year to my award length due to program changes)

toferkey

Post by toferkey »

I reduced my award length (by 1 semetester) about 6months before I finished the degree. I did not have any issue with this and it went smoothly.

scheffc

Post by scheffc »

I successfully increased my award by 1 year. I've read it can be easier to increase your award (thereby increasing your commitment) than decrease it, but it should be possible, especially this early on.

human234895

Post by human234895 »

Does anyone know if I can still request Smart to change my award length to 3 years scholarship only?
I suggest doing this in a couple years after you know you'll graduate faster. Reducing funding is always easier than requesting more.