Switching BS to MS

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
Dilly

Switching BS to MS

Post by Dilly »

When you get the award, is your expected graduation date the one you put in your application, or do they wait to set that til after they see your course plan?
I'm considering going for an accelerated MS because I'm going part time now, so my expected graduation date was 2025 but I explained in my essay that it'd be sooner if I could go full time.
So I'm wondering if I can negotiate up to the MS stipend level, or even if it's the same stipend, if they'll pay for another year or year and a half of courses after my BS, as long as it's within the cap.
Has anyone done anything like this? I know there's the amendment application that I could do later, but I'm wondering just about the initial offer, whether there's any negotiation possible then.
Thanks in advance!
Semi-finalist :)
At a state university - 3.90 GPA
Pursuing BS in civil engineering w/ minor in geology

Recipient

Re: Switching BS to MS

Post by Recipient »

When you get the award, is your expected graduation date the one you put in your application, or do they wait to set that til after they see your course plan?
You had to enter a graduation date when you submitted your application. If that is not your graduation date anymore, you will need to request an award adjustment.
I'm considering going for an accelerated MS because I'm going part time now, so my expected graduation date was 2025 but I explained in my essay that it'd be sooner if I could go full time.
To be on the SMART scholarship you must be a full time student.
So I'm wondering if I can negotiate up to the MS stipend level, or even if it's the same stipend, if they'll pay for another year or year and a half of courses after my BS, as long as it's within the cap.
You would get the Masters stipend after completing you BS. If you were accepted into a BS/MS program, you should have applied for a combined BS/MS. Switching can be done, but I have heard SMART does not like changing.
Has anyone done anything like this? I know there's the amendment application that I could do later, but I'm wondering just about the initial offer, whether there's any negotiation possible then.
There is no 'negotiation' when you get your offer. You either accept or you decline. You can request award adjustments and that must be approved through SMART and your SF.

SFs pick SMART scholars because it meets their hiring time frame. Extending and switching degrees may leave positions vacant or a degree level will not be needed. Its is up to your SF (and SMART because they provide the funding).

Dilly

Post by Dilly »

Thank you, that's helpful feedback.
So if I get it and they're expecting to fund me for 4 years but I only need 2 to complete my BS, do you think I should just wait and apply for the extension closer to that time? Or just get in and get out with my BS and worry about further education later if I actually need it? What would you do?
I did explain in my essay that the reason my expected grad date was 2025 was because of my current situation and that it would take less if I got the award. So my SF should know it won't be that long already, presuming they see the essays...

smart

Post by smart »

I'm the original responder, it logs me out sometimes...
So if I get it and they're expecting to fund me for 4 years but I only need 2 to complete my BS, do you think I should just wait and apply for the extension closer to that time?
You will probably need to have this conversation with you FS when the time comes. Don't worry until then, probably after an internship or after you can understand your job better.

I applied for 2.5 years when I received the scholarship. When I received it I reduced it to 2 years (transfer student who needed to confirm classes transferring).
Or just get in and get out with my BS and worry about further education later if I actually need it? What would you do?
Depends on your FS. My FS (I am a 2020 cohort) has had a previous SMART scholar equivalent and they stayed and got an M.S. from the Naval Post Graduate School. Paid for by the DOD, not through SMART. There are requirements for that (GS level and service requirements). If you applied for your BS, you will probably only go through your BS with SMART, although your mileage may vary. Retention awards exist as well.

I would not put all my eggs in one basket with a 4 year service requirement. There are lots of SMART horror stories of people hating their jobs. Being stuck for 2 years vs 4 years is a big difference. When I was offered the award, I reached out to the FS I was awarded, (they interviewed me). I had in depth conversations with my future supervisor and a SMART scholar equivalent (different program before SMART). I asked many questions to ensure this was a job I would be okay with. Since I was already offered the award, I was more brunt in wanting to understand if this was FS was ok. Again YMMV.

Dilly

Post by Dilly »

Yeah I'm not sure I want 4 years there. I already know it's more paper pushing than field work, which is what I'd prefer. But I'm getting ahead of myself, as usual.
How soon after receiving the award did you submit your amendment?

smart

Post by smart »

I received the aware in a "second chance". I got the reject email. Then a week later in my spam folder was the offer email. I went through onboarding with HR at my FS explaining SMART and what I need to do. I interviewed my FS to see if it was a good job. Then I accepted on the last day, so about a week later. I didn't fill out all the forms and request the reduction until June as I was waiting to see what transfer schools I got into. SMART wanted them sooner, but was willing to wait.