Taking a summer class during the summer internship

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
nick5768

Taking a summer class during the summer internship

Post by nick5768 »

Hi everyone,

I wanted to know if it is possible to take a summer course while enrolled for SMART and NOT HAVE SMART PAY FOR IT. My university offers 1 free class of your choice while on internship and I do not have to pay for it. It will not interfere with my Education Plan of Study that we had to fill out and send to SMART. I did not see in the updated scholar handbook that we are not allowed to take a summer class if SMART isn't paying for it. Any advice helps, thanks everyone!

guest007

Re: Taking a summer class during the summer internship

Post by guest007 »

My school didn't have a plan like that, but since I had to move away for my internship, I had a lot of time to kill in the afternoon and nights. I took some humanities electives online at a community college and paid for it myself. The classes transferred back to my degree plan and SMART didn't say anything. I never really asked for permission, but when I sent the annual degree plan they didn't notice or raise a concern. It helped me lighten the work load during the actual school year and I would definitely recommend it if you have the option.