Starting a Company in Phase 1

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
Guest12345

Starting a Company in Phase 1

Post by Guest12345 »

Hello! I am currently in Phase 1 of the SMART scholarship; I would like to start a company and incorporate an LLC with a friend of mine. I was looking for information/regulations on this, but there wasn't any information on the handbook other than in reference to patents.

Does anyone have any idea whether this is allowed or not?

Thank you!

Re: Starting a Company in Phase 1

Post by Guest »

Starting a company doesn't technically count as outside employment if you're not an employee, but that is where you should look for any rules. There should definitely be an outside employment section in your handbook. An old one has it:

During phase 1, recruitment SSPPs may accept employment outside of SMART that does not exceed 16 hours per week. SMART does not require retention SSPPs to continue working for the SF during phase 1. There is no set limit on the number of hours a retention SSPP can work for the SF during phase 1. However, retention SSPPs are expected to work less than full-time prior to completion of all degree requirements, including thesis or dissertation writing. SSPP employment hours may be further restricted if the work negatively impacts the SSPP’s ability to fulfill the SSA. There is no monetary limit on the amount of wages a SSPP may earn. Outside employment may in no way impact the SSPP’s obligations under the SSA