Repaying the scholarship back

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
davidsm

Repaying the scholarship back

Post by davidsm »

Hi,

I am considering withdrawing from the smart scholarship program and I am wondering if anyone can share their experience with paying back the debt? Specifically, I am curious about the interest rate, how long they took to send you the bill, and their expected repayment timeline. I have seen a few posts about this in the forum already, but I am hoping to get updated info and additional experiences. I am aware that DFAS handles the repayment and it takes them sometime (~1 year) to send the bill. Any personal examples and specifics would be helpful. Thank you!

JDetwiler

Re: Repaying the scholarship back

Post by JDetwiler »

Sisyphus, one of the forum's mods, runs a Discord server for SMART debtors. They've shared several stories, documents, and advice about this process on there and it's the single best place to find the information you're looking for. That's not to say you can't find some of the same information on here, but it's a lot harder, as you've learned (plus it's not actually as outdated as you'd think).

https://discord.gg/8fhUDke
I'm a Phase 2 recipient, B.S. in Computer Science, B.S. in Math from Virginia Tech Dec. 2019. I've been with SMART since Spring 2017; Dahlgren is my SF.

Don't walk, run away from SMART (see my first post on this forum).

davidsm

Re: Repaying the scholarship back

Post by davidsm »

Thank you JDetwiler! I'll check it out.