Stipend Rate Increase Delay

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
2018 Rec

Stipend Rate Increase Delay

Post by 2018 Rec »

Hello,

I recently graduated with my BS on May 17th, and am now pursuing an MS, both funded by SMART. I submitted a SAAR for stipend rate increase as soon as I graduated, but by the time it was processed and approved, I will not be receiving the increased stipend until the July payment. Since I have been a graduate student since mid-May, and have been working on my thesis this summer, I feel as though I should have received the increased stipend in June (and maybe even in May).

I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with getting stipend rate increases applied retroactively or has any other advice. The difference between the two stipends is fairly significant (~$750) so I would like to get that money if it is possible. SMART makes it so that you have to wait to submit the SAAR until you graduate, and then takes long enough to process it so that you miss out on months of the increase that you are owed.

JDetwiler

Re: Stipend Rate Increase Delay

Post by JDetwiler »

I found this post, which seems to discuss what you're asking about. It looks like some had it start in August---I'm thinking they continue the BS payments until the next award cycle...? You might find more if you search the forum for "SAAR" like I did.

I'm waiting on SMART too. I graduated in December and I haven't gotten a "Phase 2 letter" yet.
I'm a Phase 2 recipient, B.S. in Computer Science, B.S. in Math from Virginia Tech Dec. 2019. I've been with SMART since Spring 2017; Dahlgren is my SF.

Don't walk, run away from SMART (see my first post on this forum).

2018 Rec

Re: Stipend Rate Increase Delay

Post by 2018 Rec »

Thanks for the link, seems like most people end up losing out on the increased stipend for a couple months. Sorry to hear abut the phase two letter, that's completely ridiculous.