Clearances can take a long time, don't be discouraged

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
malarious

Clearances can take a long time, don't be discouraged

Post by malarious »

Hi!

I just wanted to have a topic about clearances out there. I Joined SMART in the 201 6 cohort or so. I finished my clearance application September of 2017. I was just informed today it was approved, I've been refused interim clearances in the meantime. No references or myself were contacted before this, so do not wait for references to tell you they have been called, it may not come.

Just wanted to make sure this was a topic for other people who seemed to have extremely long waits, like me.

Spinal_Tech

Re: Clearances can take a long time, don't be discouraged

Post by Spinal_Tech »

Were you provided with any reason for the delay in you clearance and what sore of issues did that present for the internships?

malarious

Post by malarious »

All my internships were waived and I was told to take classes due to lack of interim clearance.

I was in a study abroad when I did my clearance application and 5 months later I received an email that OPM could not find me. I responded I was in Japan for awhile but hear nothing after that. I was called a few weeks ago and told it was done, and they said the investigation had been closed for a year but needed someone higher up to sign off. I, nor my references, were ever contacted, so not sure what the actual delay was.

rocknrollguest

Post by rocknrollguest »

Thank you so much for this, it’s been a worry of mine.