Pass/Fail Policy during Phase 0

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
BigSmartguy123

Pass/Fail Policy during Phase 0

Post by BigSmartguy123 »

I was wondering whether the 2020 Cohort would be able to take the pass/fail option for this semester’s courses since it is obviously unfunded by SMART. I know we have to submit the transcripts within 30 days of the end of the school year but would pass fail during this semester count as “noncompliance?” Thanks.

codeToad

Re: Pass/Fail Policy during Phase 0

Post by codeToad »

I believe that we recieved an email indicating that pass/fail grades on classes that are normally letter-grades would be allowed for this semester.

Post by Guest »

I did not receive this email where was it from, when did you receive the email?

ttdub

Post by ttdub »

Sent April 16th,

"Dear SMART Scholars,

In response to COVID-19, many universities are offering coursework on a pass/fail basis for the Spring 2020 academic term.

According to the 2020 SMART Scholarship Program Scholar Handbook:

9.6. Failure to Earn Course Credit
All coursework that is offered for a grade must be taken for a grade. If the scholar takes coursework on a pass/fail basis when the course is offered for a grade, the scholar may be placed in an auditable status of non-compliance and/or dismissed from the SMART Program.

The SMART Program has determined that for the Spring 2020 academic term, the policy cited above prohibiting scholars from taking coursework on a pass/fail basis will not be enforced. This academic requirement change will only apply for the Spring 2020 academic term. Please consider the impact of choosing to take pass/fail courses, as policy states that each scholar must stay in accordance with the Service Agreement signed.

We are confident that you are able to complete the current academic term successfully and continue satisfactory progress towards degree completion in a safe and healthy way.

Please feel free to contact your scholar coordinator at smartscholar@smartscholarship.org with any questions.

Kind regards,

SMART Team"

human234895

Post by human234895 »

I believe that email was only sent to current scholars. If you are cohort of 2020, you have not officially, fully, finally accepted the scholarship (aka had your site visit and signed on the dotted line for the last time) so you probably weren't on that list. I don't know why that policy wouldn't apply to you as well but I'd go ahead and send an email to get it in writing before requesting pass/fail for any courses.

SleepyLion

Post by SleepyLion »

As 2020 cohorts are still in Phase 0 and this specific policy is outlined under the "Phase 1 Academic Requirements and Procedures", I would assume that it just doesn't apply to us.