Federal Service Still Counts ?

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
arielScholar

Federal Service Still Counts ?

Post by arielScholar »

I read on one of these threads a while back, and I think I remember my Navy Liaison telling me this, but if I transition to employment still qualifying as federal service can that still count as my service to SMART? Basically I currently work for the Marine Corps (my SF) but I'm trying to get a job with the Department of Army where my husband is stationed. If that works, does anyone know if I will still have to owe SMART any money? I'm assuming the Marine Corps will be upset and I'll probably have 1000 forms, but can I fulfill my service agreement with the Army if I get myself the job? Thanks.

AntiSmartB

Re: Federal Service Still Counts ?

Post by AntiSmartB »

Handbook states: “14.4. Completion of Service Commitment with Approved SF
Scholars complete the service commitment with the SF in accordance with the SSA. Scholars may not choose to complete the service commitment with another facility.”

Unfortunately based on this, I believe you would have to request to transfer to your desired facility and fill out the forms in the scholar portal to get your SSA to reflect the change. If not, it has to be at the facility in your original contract or it would be considered non-compliant.

Sisyphus

Re: Federal Service Still Counts ?

Post by Sisyphus »

If you do not go to your SF in particular, SMART will hold you in default and try to get you to repay everything regardless of where you're working even if it was with the DoD.

Some participants who have disputed their debt DID continue to work for the DoD in some other capacity, but there is no outcome either way that I am aware of yet that would set a reliable precedent (SMART is taking their sweet ass time on any case that could be considered 'iffy' - mostly only upholding debts as valid where the participant simply walked away during phase 2 [even if for what could be argued were legitimate reasons]).

ONE participant who had his debt waived WAS working for the DoD for more years than his actual service commitment after dismissal, but there is no way to know if that was a contributing factor (SMART would not tell him) as he was also essentially thrown out by SMART due to their own negligence in not finding him a new SF after he formally got SMART to release him from his original SF due to a hostile work environment.

Make no mistake, do not expect SMART to ever, in any way shape or form, give you the benefit of the doubt when it comes to trying to uphold your service commitment in any way that they don't strictly authorize.

SMART has, can and will arbitrarily change the terms that the contract holds you to, but you don't have a similar luxury because SMART has the design of, and has often operated as, a predatory program. This is why close to 10% of participants wind up in default.