Extension of Phase I for PhD students

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
Guest_PhD student

Extension of Phase I for PhD students

Post by Guest_PhD student »

I have a question for any PhD students who have requested a extension for Phase 1 to complete their degree. Was your request accepted or declined? How much extra time did you ask for? What factors do you think came into play in the SMART program's decision? What was the process like?

I have less than a year left of funding (they expect degree conferral in spring 2020), but my research adviser estimates it will take me almost two years to finish (spring 2021). I'm worried that the SMART program will be reluctant to grant this extension. I'm currently 2 years into phase I.

SmartSurvivor

Re: Extension of Phase I for PhD students

Post by SmartSurvivor »

I asked for a 1 year extention towards the end of my phd. No problems. Just fill out the required paperwork. They granted the extension... I don't know... 4 months after I put in for it? But there weren't any follow up questions or investigations or anything. They were just slow to process paperwork.

Guest_PhD student

Post by Guest_PhD student »

Thank you for replying. That is reassuring to hear.

JDetwiler

Post by JDetwiler »

I'm sorry to say this has not been the case for many PhD students in SMART. A quick search for "PhD" on the Recipients board will result in a blast of nightmares. Narrow that down to searching "PhD screwed" to find threads with both those words and you come across this post on a topic about paying back SMART.

Historically, it has been all but reasonable to request an extension.
SMART wrote:We paid for you, we deserve to get what we paid for
I'm a Phase 2 recipient, B.S. in Computer Science, B.S. in Math from Virginia Tech Dec. 2019. I've been with SMART since Spring 2017; Dahlgren is my SF.

Don't walk, run away from SMART (see my first post on this forum).