Pushing back service commitment by a few months?

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients

Pushing back service commitment by a few months?

Post by Guest »

Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone has any experience pushing back their service commitment for a few months? For example, graduating in May and starting full-time at your sponsoring facility in August?

enteringPhase2

Re: Pushing back service commitment by a few months?

Post by enteringPhase2 »

You likely won't even receive an official job offer by then. I graduated in May and didn't receive my job offer until July and my start date is early September. I wouldn't prematurely stress the situation, the government is pretty slow when it comes to completing the onboard documents.

JDetwiler

Post by JDetwiler »

I've asked this question recently and the answer is: "service commitment may not be deferred unless it falls within the Phase 2 deferral policy, and a SAAR is completed and approved". I don't see any "Phase 2 deferral policy" in the handbook, so it might be 5.12 that they're referencing.
I'm a Phase 2 recipient, B.S. in Computer Science, B.S. in Math from Virginia Tech Dec. 2019. I've been with SMART since Spring 2017; Dahlgren is my SF.

Don't walk, run away from SMART (see my first post on this forum).

kbl2017

Post by kbl2017 »

I'm not starting until September. Earliest I could have started (when they got all the paperwork done) was first pay period of July.