Flexibility for SF due to family?

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
copperLaminate

Flexibility for SF due to family?

Post by copperLaminate »

My wife just got a job in a city close to my first choice of SF. I have only had one phone interview, with a different SF. If I end up getting an offer from SMART, but from the SF not close to my wife, is there any flexibility at all to like "transfer" to my preferred SF so that I can stay in the same city, or will I have to reject the offer? (I'm not staying apart from my wife for a year)

2015 SMART

Re: Flexibility for SF due to family?

Post by 2015 SMART »

You *might* be able to work something out to transfer, but that probably has <5% chance of happening. SMART is very restrictive, and even if some other SF ends up wanting you after you're out of college, the SF you were originally awarded has to allow you to go.

Good luck.

Post by guest »

copperLaminate wrote:My wife just got a job in a city close to my first choice of SF. I have only had one phone interview, with a different SF. If I end up getting an offer from SMART, but from the SF not close to my wife, is there any flexibility at all to like "transfer" to my preferred SF so that I can stay in the same city, or will I have to reject the offer? (I'm not staying apart from my wife for a year)
If the SF you prefer didn't extend you an offer, or even interview you, what makes you think they'd want to take you on as a transfer simply because it's convenient for you? They make their decisions based on their needs, and you may not fit their needs.

Post by Guest »

Most likely no since SF consider fit to be a big issue. That's why someone with less impressive stats (GPA, GRE, etc.) can get an offer over someone with better scores. Just an idea, but why not have your wife decline her offer. SMART is a substantial amount of money. Your wife can always find another job. With all the looming budget cuts, fellowships and funding may be more difficult to obtain during this administration.

copperLaminate

Post by copperLaminate »

Most likely no since SF consider fit to be a big issue. That's why someone with less impressive stats (GPA, GRE, etc.) can get an offer over someone with better scores. Just an idea, but why not have your wife decline her offer. SMART is a substantial amount of money. Your wife can always find another job. With all the looming budget cuts, fellowships and funding may be more difficult to obtain during this administration.
The average salary I see from people on the recipients board isn't much more than what she will make at the job she was offered and it's a great fit for her, so she's going to accept the job.

Post by guest »

copperLaminate wrote:
The average salary I see from people on the recipients board isn't much more than what she will make at the job she was offered and it's a great fit for her, so she's going to accept the job.
Oh, I meant including what they pay out for your tuition. Ultimately its up to you guys as a married couple to decide what is best for you. I would second your idea that being away from your wife for a year is a bad one. Best of luck to whatever you ultimately decide to do.

copperLaminate

Post by copperLaminate »

guest wrote:
copperLaminate wrote:
Oh, I meant including what they pay out for your tuition. Ultimately its up to you guys as a married couple to decide what is best for you. I would second your idea that being away from your wife for a year is a bad one. Best of luck to whatever you ultimately decide to do.
Yeah, the scholarship itself is a ton of money. If I was willing to go a year with being away from her than that certainly would be the best decision. Thank you very much for the good luck; it sucks to realize that it would be best for me to turn something down that is obviously such an amazing opportunity (if I ended up getting it).