Internship Support Payments

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients

Internship Support Payments

Post by Guest »

Are there any current SMART participants who could clarify something for me? Is the current allowance for housing and living expenses $1200 per month or $1200 per week. In the internship documents it mentioned $1200/week which would be awesome.

Chris Moulder

Re: Internship Support Payments

Post by Chris Moulder »

Yes, the documentation (http://smart.asee.org/assets/File/(SMAR ... elines.pdf) is correct. It's $1200/week + $2083 monthly stipend that you normally receive. The only catch is that your home address that SMART has on file must be greater than 50 miles away from the base.

Post by guest »

Support payments are based upon distance from your academic address (college address) to the base where you serve. If over 50 miles away, you are good.

Post by Guest »

guest wrote:Support payments are based upon distance from your academic address (college address) to the base where you serve. If over 50 miles away, you are good.
Check the date before you answer questions...

Post by Guest »

guest wrote:Support payments are based upon distance from your academic address (college address) to the base where you serve. If over 50 miles away, you are good.
Besides the fact that this question is from last year, support payments are based upon distance from your home address, not your academic address.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Besides the fact that this question is from last year, support payments are based upon distance from your home address, not your academic address.
No, you're wrong. Support payment eligibility is determined based upon distance from your academic address, as stated in 14.5g of the Participant Handbook.

Post by Guest »

Correct. You receive $1200/week if you academic address is > 50 miles from your base.

Post by Guest »

you just have to remember to enter your academic address in your profile so they can check the mileage

superskbman

Post by superskbman »

Hi I go to school at Stevens Institute of Technology, and it is about 50 miles from Picatinny Arsenal(My Sponsoring Facility) depending on the way you go. The way I would normal travel it, it would be right around 51 miles. Any idea how they calculate this, like do they just throw it into google maps and just take the shortest route? Or go by your actual commuting route?
Read my Blog at www.FamVestor.com

Learn about creating Passive Income, Being Frugal, Living Optimalisticaly, and designing a wholesome lifestyle all for the purpose of Investing in your Family.

Post by Guest »

superskbman wrote:Hi I go to school at Stevens Institute of Technology, and it is about 50 miles from Picatinny Arsenal(My Sponsoring Facility) depending on the way you go. The way I would normal travel it, it would be right around 51 miles. Any idea how they calculate this, like do they just throw it into google maps and just take the shortest route? Or go by your actual commuting route?
I emailed them about this before accepting because I really did not want to have to commute ~50 miles each way. They said that they just use mapquest and that they'll generally work with you (i.e. they won't screw you over and do shortest route). The SPO person specifically said that last year she was able to get the support payment for someone with mapquest showing 50.7 miles. You may want to carefully choose where you live, however.

randomchick

Post by randomchick »

So, I used MapQuest and it says that there are two routes: one is 37.5 miles, and other is 49.2 miles. Do you think they will give me funding? Should I contact them about this issue?

GoogleMaps

Post by GoogleMaps »

MapQuest is still a thing?

Post by Guest »

GoogleMaps wrote:MapQuest is still a thing?
I thought the same thing.

lolkk

Post by lolkk »

Guest wrote:
GoogleMaps wrote:MapQuest is still a thing?
I thought the same thing.
Use Apple Maps, you're guaranteed to get ISP. /s