Possible to buy out of SMART?

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
BuyOut

Possible to buy out of SMART?

Post by BuyOut »

Is it possible you buy out of SMART before the commitment? I am currently set for a 2 year commitment, however the work that was discussed with the SF during the interview process is not what I am to do full time (they apparently had something else in mind that was kept hidden until I was locked into them for an SF and had already completed the required internship).

If it is possible to buy out, has anyone done so successfully? Were you able to get a position in the private sector where they helped you buy out?

Any information relating to this would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Possible to buy out of SMART?

Post by Guest »

This is a GREAT question.

LefttheAF

Post by LefttheAF »

I started at my facility, hated the job, left a quarter of the way through my commitment and joined the private sector doing work I enjoy. I am absolutely willing to pay SMART back, but at the moment, they don't have a way for us to do so. They don't have procedures in place to send bills or collect money, so I don't believe that they can accept a payment even if you were to find a private company willing to pay for you.

From what they have said, all of those who leave the program will have to pay them back (which would be the buy out) but they don't yet have that system in place. I say leave, get a private sector job, and put away some money in case they come asking for it back.

Post by Guest »

Has anyone been succesful at getting an actual dollar amount of how much they owe ? I know that on the SMART website they report the total tuition payments, but that doesn't include stipend, internship living expenses, and "interest". I may request this information in the near future, any advice on how to go about doing this?

Post by Guest »

I'm posting because I'm also interested in the reply to this question. I am a retention candidate and my SF is being relatively inflexible about requiring me to move back to work on base 100% full time after I complete my PhD. I am willing to transfer SFs, but would prefer to work remotely (they have allowed multiple other personnel to do this in the past for various reasons) as I have generally enjoyed working for my SF in the past. Moving back is a heartbreaking option, though, because the SF is in a location where my husband CAN'T work because of the nature of his job. I met him during the 5 years I was away for the program. Why is there no flexibility for the fact that life can change significantly over 5-10 years as we go to school and pay back our commitments?

Post by Guest »

Reply to above Guest:
I feel your pain and angst, I'm in a very similar situation. I have also met my girlfriend while doing my PhD. She has another 1.5 years to go and we are dreading the impending move. After that, she has her own commitment to repay by working in the Army (enlisted) via a different scholarship for service program. Funny how a "family oriented" organization like the DoD has a knack for creating situations to tear families and relationships apart.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Reply to above Guest:
I feel your pain and angst, I'm in a very similar situation. I have also met my girlfriend while doing my PhD. She has another 1.5 years to go and we are dreading the impending move. After that, she has her own commitment to repay by working in the Army (enlisted) via a different scholarship for service program. Funny how a "family oriented" organization like the DoD has a knack for creating situations to tear families and relationships apart.
Stop simping, it's just some chick. You two will not last anyway, and if you are foolish enough to marry her, she'll cheat at some point, file for a divorce, and take half your shit, your kids, and you'll end up paying her alimony for the rest of her life (even with pre-nup agreements, courts favor women in 99% of all divorce cases, no matter who cheated). "tear families and relationships apart" what a joke. Google "red pill", stop simping, get some knowledge. FYI: women file for over 70% of all divorces, 95% of all relationships end within 20 years, and statistics show that 30% of all children that the father thought are his, are actually not... google: cuckoldry.

Post by Guest »

Someone's bitter.

LOLKK

Post by LOLKK »

Guest wrote:
Stop simping, it's just some chick. You two will not last anyway, and if you are foolish enough to marry her, she'll cheat at some point, file for a divorce, and take half your shit, your kids, and you'll end up paying her alimony for the rest of her life (even with pre-nup agreements, courts favor women in 99% of all divorce cases, no matter who cheated). "tear families and relationships apart" what a joke. Google "red pill", stop simping, get some knowledge. FYI: women file for over 70% of all divorces, 95% of all relationships end within 20 years, and statistics show that 30% of all children that the father thought are his, are actually not... google: cuckoldry.
I think the weird parts of the Internet have spilled over....

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
That escalated quickly.

Post by Guest »

Probably a troll.

MLW62

Post by MLW62 »

To determine how much you owe to SMART you should be able to get an estimate online. A history of payments made to you or your institution on your behalf is an option on the award site . Browse to : ( https://smart.asee.org/award ), log in and choose "Payment History" (second choice under General Info). It will give you a list on that page or you can download a CSV file of the data.

I hope this helps.

veriste

Post by veriste »

Thanks, MLW62, that was actually a really helpful response after what took a very weird (and super childishly offensive) turn on this thread.

In other news, still no word from my SF on them being willing to work out an arrangement so they don't tear my personal life apart when I graduate....