Pre-emptive SMART Interview E-Mail Discussion

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.

Re: Pre-emptive SMART Interview E-Mail Discussion

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:So if we have not received word on an interview is it now safe to assume we are in the bottom half of th 1300 semi-finalists?
That's what I would assume...sadly...

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Guest wrote:To those that have been scheduled to interview so far -- please report if you are a graduate student or undergrad. Thanks!
Undergrad, freshman (3 year scholarship), electrical engineering.

Post by Guest »

I got an interview scheduled for thursday, I'm getting my undergrad in Mechanical Engineering at the end of this semester, so i'm applying for a grad-school scholarship (2 years) in Mechanical Engineering

Post by Guest »

Matthew wrote:
Guest wrote:To those that have been scheduled to interview so far -- please report if you are a graduate student or undergrad. Thanks!
out of curiosity, what school are you going to? also why type of stuff did you talk about on your application?

Post by guest »

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:So if we have not received word on an interview is it now safe to assume we are in the bottom half of th 1300 semi-finalists?
I'm starting to assume that too ... though it's tough to say with the rolling interview schedule and possibility of alternates.

Post by Guest »

guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
I'm starting to assume that too ... though it's tough to say with the rolling interview schedule and possibility of alternates.
hopefully tomorrow we will start hearing about more interviews being schedule :/

Post by Guest »

Undergrad here.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Guest wrote:
Matthew wrote:
out of curiosity, what school are you going to? also why type of stuff did you talk about on your application?
Auburn University in Alabama, my essay part of my application went in depth about my interests in working on a broad range of projects and pointed out the universal applications of electrical engineering and how it would benefit the DoD. I do not have any research experience.

at this point

Post by at this point »

what ever happens happens at this point. not gonna look in to it. as previous post state.. you give engineers a problem and we will over think it with lack of information. im done thinking. :) now to study differential equations.

Roll Tide

Post by Roll Tide »

Oh, no! Matthew's a Barner! We're mortal enemies! I'm graduate student at the University of Alabama. ROLL TIDE, ROLL! I HATE ORANGE. =)

rmw228

Post by rmw228 »

Any graduate students had interviews scheduled?

Matt

Post by Matt »

Matthew wrote:
Guest wrote:
Matthew wrote: Undergrad, freshman (3 year scholarship), electrical engineering.
Auburn University in Alabama, my essay part of my application went in depth about my interests in working on a broad range of projects and pointed out the universal applications of electrical engineering and how it would benefit the DoD. I do not have any research experience.
Wow, you literally sound just like me! I go to Penn State and haven't been scheduled a time. What facilities did you apply to/ did you receive any interviews from any facilities? (if you don't mind me asking..)

Post by Guest »

I was wondering the same. I am a 1st year grad student and have not received an interview time yet. Have only undergrads been contacted thus far?

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:I was wondering the same. I am a 1st year grad student and have not received an interview time yet. Have only undergrads been contacted thus far?
I am a 4th year grad student and received an interview time for Thursday. I got the email at 5PM on 3/22.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Roll Tide wrote:Oh, no! Matthew's a Barner! We're mortal enemies! I'm graduate student at the University of Alabama. ROLL TIDE, ROLL! I HATE ORANGE. =)
HAHA, I am actually an Alabama fan, just chose Auburn for their engineering department.
Last edited by Matthew on Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Guest wrote:
Wow, you literally sound just like me! I go to Penn State and haven't been scheduled a time. What facilities did you apply to/ did you receive any interviews from any facilities? (if you don't mind me asking..)

I chose the following 3 for my facilities:

1) Redstone Arsenal, AL
2) Eglin AFB, Fl
3) Naval Air Warfare Center, Orlando, Fl

However, I was contacted and interviewed by Robins AFB, Ga.

degree type

Post by degree type »

Me wrote:
Rentention candidate wrote:Just got the email 3 mins ago for wednesday - 9am. Looks like rolling emails for the interview period which is the whole week. Anyone have their interview today? Administrative only?
USACE - Sacremento, Alaska, Tulsa Districs.
Grad, MS in Geotechnical Eng. @ UC Berkeley (1 yr)

Post by guest »

rmw228 wrote:Any graduate students had interviews scheduled?
I am a second year graduate student in chemistry and got an interview scheduled for 4:50 PDT today (3/23). I received the e-mail yesterday (3/22) at about 2 pm PDT.

RUchemE

Post by RUchemE »

hello all,

i just got an email yesterday about an interview thursday. my last name starts with an R. I'm currently a sophomore chemical engineer at Rutgers. My number one choice was Picatinny Arsenal in NJ.. to be honest i dont remember the other two.. well see what happens thursday at 450PM... at least im pretty sure its 450PM eastern.. my email said 1350.. which im assuming is not a typo and military time for 150 California time..

Post by Guest »

Has anyone who didn't get an interview from a facility gotten an interview scheduled this week?

Post by Guest »

I didn't get an interview from a facility (I requested TARDEC, Mi) and I do have an interview scheduled for thursday. I applied for a graduate scholarship, i'm finishing up my undergrad now. BTW, anyone have any more updates about their interviews that happened/will happen today? like what was said and stuff? thanks

Post by Guest »

Matthew wrote:
Roll Tide wrote:Oh, no! Matthew's a Barner! We're mortal enemies! I'm graduate student at the University of Alabama. ROLL TIDE, ROLL! I HATE ORANGE. =)
HAHA, I am actually an Alabama fan, just chose Auburn for their engineering department.
Oh, okay. Good to know! =) I applied to Tennessee for graduate school-- you can imagine how that went over with my family. My brother-in-law said I wouldn't be allowed in his house wearing orange.

Post by Guest »

Any one get an interview that is a grad student in biomedical engineering?

wolfawk

Post by wolfawk »

I had my interview yesterday. I never recieved a call from a facility. I am a graduate student pursuing my Masters in Information Assurance. My last name begins with an R.

Post by Guest »

A buddy of mine just got his interview for Thursday, and he is undergrad too. Seems like they're only interviewing people with one to two years left. Has anyone with longer then that gotten an interview?