who all is applying this year?

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
phdcpe

who all is applying this year?

Post by phdcpe »

So, the application window has closed. Who all has applied this year? Seems like there is a lot less activity going into the submissions this year.

Deem87

Re: who all is applying this year?

Post by Deem87 »

I applied. This is my third attempt. Why do you say that there is less activity this year?

guest444

Post by guest444 »

I would agree. Interest seems to be down based on forum activity. I applied last year and am re-applying this year. PhD in ME.

PhDCpE

Post by PhDCpE »

guest444 wrote:I would agree. Interest seems to be down based on forum activity. I applied last year and am re-applying this year. PhD in ME.
Yea, that is what I meant by "less activity". Last year, it seemed to me, that this forum was busy going into the application deadline and again about the time of the award announcements. Does anyone know of a link that gives out the stats from last year? I.e. how many applicants, how many awards, to what disciplines, etc etc.

d_Turch

Post by d_Turch »

I have applied.

BS/MS Mechanical Engineering

Atomic

Post by Atomic »

I was interested in past timelines for award notification, and I definitely noticed the drop in activity here. I sincerely hope that fewer students have applied for this year's awards. I'll need all the luck I can find: a freshman studying chemical engineering, although I would reapply to continue working in the nuclear field. Fingers crossed for everyone!

stSMARTchic

Post by stSMARTchic »

I have applied!

stSMARTchic

Post by stSMARTchic »

PhDCpE wrote:
guest444 wrote:I would agree. Interest seems to be down based on forum activity. I applied last year and am re-applying this year. PhD in ME.
Yea, that is what I meant by "less activity". Last year, it seemed to me, that this forum was busy going into the application deadline and again about the time of the award announcements. Does anyone know of a link that gives out the stats from last year? I.e. how many applicants, how many awards, to what disciplines, etc etc.

The closest answer I could find was on this link: http://smart.asee.org/program_stats/school_directory

NeuRAO

Post by NeuRAO »

I have applied as well. Does anyone know when we can expect notification of whether we made the first cut?

Guest2234

Post by Guest2234 »

NeuRAO wrote:I have applied as well. Does anyone know when we can expect notification of whether we made the first cut?

Guest2234

Post by Guest2234 »

Last year they notified on July 2. Hopefully, it won't be that late this year!

jcantrell0018

Post by jcantrell0018 »

I applied, and the waiting is killing me. I have a really strong feeling that I didn't get it based on my major alone, but waiting for that confirmation is killing me.

phdcpe

Post by phdcpe »

jcantrell0018 wrote:I applied, and the waiting is killing me. I have a really strong feeling that I didn't get it based on my major alone, but waiting for that confirmation is killing me.
It's going to be several months more at least. I am not sure what the process is, but at some point in the near future we should be getting some kind of correspondence saying if we made the first rounds of cuts. then after that I am not sure what happens. Something about 2nd rounds and interviews etc.

RF_EE

Post by RF_EE »

It's going to be several months more at least. I am not sure what the process is, but at some point in the near future we should be getting some kind of correspondence saying if we made the first rounds of cuts. then after that I am not sure what happens. Something about 2nd rounds and interviews etc.
Last year, I was notified by SMART in April/May that I had not been selected for the first round. There was no notification as to whether or not I had made it past a certain stage in the process. I was then contacted out of the blue in August by my SF's liaison, offering me the scholarship if the funding was available. Approximately two weeks after that I was notified that the funding was available, and I received my formal offer.

jcantrell0018

Post by jcantrell0018 »

Well, that certainly makes me a little more hopeful. What was your major?

RF_EE

Post by RF_EE »

jcantrell0018 wrote:Well, that certainly makes me a little more hopeful. What was your major?
Electrical Engineering

EnvEng

Post by EnvEng »

Has anyone heard anything yet? Nothing on this end but I'm assuming no news is good news :-).

MLW62

Post by MLW62 »

I don't have the numbers for how many were chosen last year but here are some program scope numbers:

2013 -1,424 Participants, 298 Universities, 151 Sponsoring Facilities, 614 BS, 91 BS/MS, 257 MS, 63 MS/PhD, 399 PhD. I don't know how that would break down to a per year or per degree program but I would guess around 300 or so per year spread across the various programs and recruit/retention.

Buckeye221

Post by Buckeye221 »

I have not heard anything yet. Based on other years (except last year because of budget issues) I would assume that we will hear something in the next few weeks. I have a handful of friends that applied so if they or I hear anything I will post. Hopefully others on here will do the same.

phdcpe

Post by phdcpe »

Let's see its march 5th and nothing on my end as of yet. Fingures crossed.

jjm390

Post by jjm390 »

I emailed SMART about the timeline, and they indicated finalist will be announced next week, and award offers on April 1st.

phdcpe

Post by phdcpe »

jjm390 wrote:I emailed SMART about the timeline, and they indicated finalist will be announced next week, and award offers on April 1st.
Nice! Thanks for posting.

aorillion

Post by aorillion »

Great to hear, I also applied this year and have been searching for updated information about when responses to applications will be sent out.
We should get initial responses sometime this week then?

thatGuy

Post by thatGuy »

aorillion wrote:Great to hear, I also applied this year and have been searching for updated information about when responses to applications will be sent out.
We should get initial responses sometime this week then?

"It is expected that all applicants will be notified via email within the next week whether or not they have been selected as semifinalists. We do not yet have a confirmed announcement date from the Department of Defense for final award announcements."

--Quote on 3/7/14 from SMART's facebook page

jjm39

Post by jjm39 »

Has anyone heard anything yet?