Desired Facility and Major

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
Matthew

Desired Facility and Major

Post by Matthew »

I was just wondering what everyones desired facility is and their intended major.

Mine is Redstone Arsenal, AL and my major is Electrical Engineering, I also put in for a 3 year scholarship.

Re: Desired Facility and Major

Post by Guest »

My major is Biochemistry with a minor in materials science and engineering. My preferences were:
Edgewood Chemical and Biological Center
Dahlgren Naval Warfare Station
Dugway Chemical test facility

From what I could tell, all of these have relevant chemistry/biochemistry opportunities.

BROCKMAE

Post by BROCKMAE »

I'm an Aerospace Engineering major at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University - Daytona Beach. I graduate in 2012.

I put down
1) Pax River Naval Base (MD)
2) Arnold Air Base (TN)
3) Cherry Point Naval Base (NC)

Chris Moulder

Post by Chris Moulder »

BROCKMAE wrote:I'm an Aerospace Engineering major at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University - Daytona Beach. I graduate in 2012.

I put down
1) Pax River Naval Base (MD)
2) Arnold Air Base (TN)
3) Cherry Point Naval Base (NC)
No Edwards :(

BROCKMAE

Post by BROCKMAE »

Ha! Actually I did have Edwards down as one of my three, but at the last minute I changed it because I thought there'd be a large number of requests for Edwards. I'm hedging my bet and hoping a facility like Cherry Point or Arnold will have less volume and my application will stand out more. Plus I know people at those facilities so I'm doing my best to stick my foot in the door. Edwards would be a dream job for an AE major... but in this economy and with this much student debt reality weighs a lot more.

If you want to talk to the recruiters there and pull my application and look how awesome it is (Plus I'm from Riddle, c'mon!) I wouldn't complain at all! :D

Chris Moulder

Post by Chris Moulder »

Lol, if you're serious, pm me your info and I'll see if propulsion wants anyone in 2012.

Hohn

Post by Hohn »

I'm in mechanical engineering, looking for something aerospace related. I put down:
Hill AFB
Kirtland AFB
Redstone Arsenal

Can't say I'd mind Edwards either, but my thinking was along the same lines as brockmae.

RUchemE

Post by RUchemE »

Chemical Engineer here from Rutgers.

1. Picattiny Arsenal (NJ)
2. Naval Surface Warfare Center (Penn)
3. Aberdeen Proving Ground (MD)

My number one is my preferred location by a long shot.. cause its awesome..

rmw228

Post by rmw228 »

I did a little bit of work with/for the guys at Picatinny (one of those give and take collaborations), and it's a really cool place. The lab I was working in required a hand-locked gate and a 5 minute drive through the woods. Apparently there are moderately frequent bear sightings.

Awesome.

RUchemE

Post by RUchemE »

Yeah, all I've heard were good things about the place and everyone seems to know someone that works there haha. Plus, it's local.. I'm probably about thirty minutes away at most... so i see bears when i wake up in the morning sometimes.. anyway hopefully things work out.

Tristan

Post by Tristan »

I ended up not getting into my desired facility (Was looking to get into one of the three letter agencies in DC) but ended with an offer for Warner Robins Air Force Base and went for it. I ended up loving it there :D Don't be afraid to accept other facilities. From what I understand, it's easier to move around in the military from the inside later if you so choose and if you are looking to make a career out of the military.

I'm a B.S. in Computer Science major.