Low GPA but Prior DOD Internship

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
guest1

Low GPA but Prior DOD Internship

Post by guest1 »

So here is my current situation. I am a first year graduate student (masters) applying under the cognitive science category. My undergraduate cumulative GPA was a 3.17, but my major GPA was around a 3.6. Long story short, I ended up working more then I probably should have and picked the wrong major for myself early in school. Anyway, last year I completed an NREIP internship as well and really had a great experience with it.

Do you think that having the internship background (and recommendation letter) would help balance out the lower GPA?

Lurkish

Re: Low GPA but Prior DOD Internship

Post by Lurkish »

With my experience going through the interview process, I was never really asked about my GPA. They seem mostly focused on my work experience. I think as long as you meet the minimum requirements for the application you should be fine. They did ask me how well I did in my math classes which makes me think they only really care about your grades in classes that are applicable to the job. The fact that your major GPA is high is good and that's probably what they will focus on.

Re: Low GPA but Prior DOD Internship

Post by Guest »

If you made a good impression at the facility you completed your internship at and can find someone there whos in a position of power and is interested in bringing you in through SMART, you probably have a decent chance at getting the scholarship. I interned a few times at my SF through another internship program and my intern mentor at the time suggested I apply for SMART. I applied and was accepted at that facility even though my GPA was below the average for SMART. (I think I had about a 3.4 overall when I was accepted)

Good luck!