Majors most in demand

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
guest17

Majors most in demand

Post by guest17 »

I am working toward a dual major -- Physics and Computer Science. Currently, Physics is my primary major, but I like both areas equally well. Does anyone know which major would be in highest demand and might give me a better chance to win a SMART scholarship? Thanks!

Re: Majors most in demand

Post by Guest »

At the orientation conference (when they still had one) it seems to me that there were a lot more CS majors than Physics majors. There's a slide presentation out on the internet that breaks the scholarship down by major through 2009 or 2010. That will answer your question. I couldn't find it, but perhaps someone who has it can repost.

-2011 Physics Major

Post by Guest »

Computer Science is more likely than Physics to be a needed position to fill, but the combination of the two could be even more valuable.

ComputerSecurity

Post by ComputerSecurity »

Computer Science is in high demand. But if you have any experience (or even an interest) in Computer Security it will definitely boost your chances.

When I applied, I had no experience but talked about my interest in security and what I would be learning and I got the scholarship.

fish_

Post by fish_ »

you can use the bureau of labor statistics web site (http://www.bls.gov/ooh/) to see what occupations are predicted to be in demand

also, forbes or kipliger magazine web sites have articles about "hot" future jobs.

for current information, just look at the number of openings for each occupation on usajobs.com