2012 Applicants: Apply Again?

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
_+_+_

2012 Applicants: Apply Again?

Post by _+_+_ »

The applications are supposed to open up again on August 15th for the 2013 SMART scholarships. I honestly don't feel like applying. With all the crap that went on last year, from giving us notifications 2 months late and telling us the delay was only a few weeks, cutting the number of scholarships from around 300 to 130, not apologizing for any of it, etc. I feel like ASEE/gov really don't have the right priorities. I wasn't even interviewed or contacted for the 2012 award. If they knew I wouldn't get it, they should have said it then instead of making everyone wait for months and months for a rejection letter. And judging from what people said on this board, second round notifications took another two months to go out. If their goal was to discourage some of the best students, they seem to have accomplished this goal. Your thoughts?

fish_

Re: 2012 Applicants: Apply Again?

Post by fish_ »

that's fine, vote with your feet. that creates one more chance for somebody else. tens of thousands of dollars versus inconvenience? i think the money will win (again).

Guest1

Re: 2012 Applicants: Apply Again?

Post by Guest1 »

I got this reply today. I was also anxious/agitated about the process like the first poster, during my first two application experiences. However, for the third and now fourth time, I basically adopted the infomercial "set it and forget it" attitude.

All the best,

"Thank you again for your interest in the Department of Defense SMART Scholarship-for-Service Program. At this time the 2012 SMART Scholarship award cycle is complete and no further awards will be issued this year. Please note that due to the volume of applications the Department of Defense is unable to provide feedback regarding specific applications. We wish you well in your future endeavors.

-The ASEE SMART Scholarship Team"