Transferring universities after acceptance?

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
pregunta

Transferring universities after acceptance?

Post by pregunta »

I am currently a student in chemical engineering at NC State and I was recently accepted as a transfer to UC Berkeley. If I were to receive the SMART scholarship (a very big IF there, but nevertheless) after applying for the award as an NC state student, would I be able to transfer the award to Berkeley?

Again I have received no notification of acceptance from SMART and the waiting continues but I was just curious if transferring was feasible.

Thanks for the help

xkcd13

Re: Transferring universities after acceptance?

Post by xkcd13 »

As long as your graduation date is not going to change, SMART is pretty accommodating.

RPI CSE

Post by RPI CSE »

This would be something that you would need to work out with your SF when you get in. The SF is the customer, and as long as they didn't pick you solely base on your choice of school, you should be fine!

Guest22

Post by Guest22 »

I changed graduation date and university. The two factors here aare SF hiring date and money. If you contact your SF in advance, and they're okay with it, and you don't cost SMART more money, they'll approve it,

If the SF isn't okay with it, tough luck.
If you ask for more money than before, you MAY still get approved, but higher chance you don't, especially with the budget cuts.

I am under the impression that the worst they can do is deny it though, I don't think it voids your current scholarship to wherever to applied originally.

So call your SF, do the math, if its about the same, apply.

RPI CSE

Post by RPI CSE »

Guest22 wrote:I changed graduation date and university. The two factors here aare SF hiring date and money. If you contact your SF in advance, and they're okay with it, and you don't cost SMART more money, they'll approve it,

If the SF isn't okay with it, tough luck.
If you ask for more money than before, you MAY still get approved, but higher chance you don't, especially with the budget cuts.

I am under the impression that the worst they can do is deny it though, I don't think it voids your current scholarship to wherever to applied originally.

So call your SF, do the math, if its about the same, apply.
Very good point. I hadn't considered the tuition increase. As stated by Guest22, the cost does come in to the decision. They won't approve something if they can't afford it.

preguntaa

Post by preguntaa »

Yeah, there will definitely be a budget increase since I am paying in state for NC State so I'm probably looking at a addition of 11,000 for nonresident fees but I will be saving around 2,000 for tuition (I believe). That is a pretty big difference so I will have to see what they say.

Although all of this is speculative and my chances of actually receiving the scholarship are preeeetty small.

Thanks for the help everyone.