Orientation

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
Guest Walrus

Orientation

Post by Guest Walrus »

Hello all,
I have advanced to the next round and I have a quick question. When is the orientation this summer, and how long does it last? The reason I ask is because I am in the process or looking for a summer internship and I want to know how it will work out if receive the scholarship. I am only applying for a scholarship for my senior year so I won't have an internship through the program.
Thank you

empty

Re: Orientation

Post by empty »

Hey Walrus,
Last year it was July 11th-14th. However, the date changes every year. I believe the length of the orientation is similar year-to-year (but don't quote me on that).

It is important to note that the orientation is mandatory. However, waivers to attend orientation are sometimes granted. I had a partial waiver because I visited my site/POC for one of the days. I wouldn't expect them to grant a waiver because of some non-DoD related internship. I would, of course, keep pursuing the SMART scholarship and the summer internship and then cross the 'orientation bridge' when it comes to it. It's always better to have scheduling problems because you're too desirable than less options because you put all your eggs in one basket.

Hope any of that was helpful.

RPI CSE

Re: Orientation

Post by RPI CSE »

Definitely try and get an internship for this summer. I received the scholarship for this school year and attended orientation last summer. It was very easy to get time off to go, I just had to save my sick time. Even if you don't get sick time, I have not heard of anyone who couldn't go because of an internship. Somewhat likely worst case, you don't get paid for those days. Very unlikely worst case, you quit, then take the smart scholarship and the internship doesn't really matter in the end. Far more likely, you use a couple days of sick time and don't get that money at the end of the summer.