question on stipend

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
guest111

question on stipend

Post by guest111 »

This benefits page talks the stipend range and also says that there is a paid summer internship. Does the stipend pay include the paid internship about or is the paid internship on top of the stipend benefit?

handle2

Re: question on stipend

Post by handle2 »

It's best to look at the summer internship payments as additional "cost of living in a different place" payments. They are in addition to the standard stipend you will make. The additional pay is because the program realizes that scholars will incur rent/moving expenses in addition to having to pay rent where they go to school (hence why people going to school near their site don't get the additional pay). Hope that helps.

mrbill333

Post by mrbill333 »

Don't they have compensation associated with facilities far away from residence/school listed on a seperate bullet?

handle2

Post by handle2 »

I can't really answer that. I can only answer the question as I know it being someone currently involved in the SMART program (and currently filling out the paperwork to receive said extra compensation for the summer internship).

jramcam

Post by jramcam »

You get your regular cash award, this amount varies depending if you are a bachelor's, master's, or phd candidate, PLUS $1200 per week during your internship. For example, as a master's participant my cash ward is $2750 per month, on top of that I will be receiving $1200 per week during the summer internship, which are disbursed in 3 payments. The first one will usually be disbursed the month prior to departure for the Internship and may be paid the same day as the Cash Award payment, the second, a month after that, and the third, a month after the second. As the first payment it may be also be paid along with the cash award payment. This is the most updated information I have, policies and guidelines change every year, so read the participant handbook for more details, or contact your Cohort Administrator. Just remember, they DO NOT cover relocation expenses, so save up enough money for that.