Cash Rate

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
Tamu_Kid

Cash Rate

Post by Tamu_Kid »

I was selected as a semi-finalist. I was wondering if they select me as a finalist and they offer me 25,000 dollars, is that per semester?

nopes

Re: Cash Rate

Post by nopes »

Per year.

xkcd13

Post by xkcd13 »

Per year and also pro rated for 9 months. So you get $2083.33 / month for 9 months.

Post by Guest »

xkcd13 wrote:Per year and also pro rated for 9 months. So you get $2083.33 / month for 9 months.
How do you figure only 9 months?

mrbill333

Post by mrbill333 »

My understanding is you get paid the stipend rate while attending class from SMART. You are paid by the SF during the internship.

empty

Post by empty »

xkcd is correct, if you have a one-year SMART scholarship. I think his point was that it is prorated for every month you're in the program. Please correct me if I'm wrong, xkcd.

empty

Post by empty »

If you are a recruitment candidate, the entire internship stipend + the amount for your monthly SMART scholarship is paid via ASEE, which is who the SMART program contracts out to for the financial side of the program.

I'm not a retention candidate, so I'm not sure if it is paid out as you are saying for those on the retention side. It may be different for them.

You get paid both the internship stipend and the standard monthly payments during the internship.

Post by Guest »

As someone said, it is prorated for each month.

SMART keeps paying you until you start work, so you would only get 9 months if your SF wanted to start you right after school. I think I got 11 months.

During internships you receive the award payment + stipend. You should search for old posts on this if you have more questions.

xkcd13

Post by xkcd13 »

I think that during the internship you do not get the stipend. During the internship you only get paid by your SF and you get Internship Support Payments if you qualify (academic residence > 50 miles from SF).

RPI CSE

Post by RPI CSE »

xkcd13 wrote:I think that during the internship you do not get the stipend. During the internship you only get paid by your SF and you get Internship Support Payments if you qualify (academic residence > 50 miles from SF).
Incorrect, to quote the FAQ of ASEEs participant section of the website:
"Internships for Recruitment Participants who live in excess of 50 miles from their Sponsoring Facility are
funded via ASEE in the form of Internship Support Payments if they have received prior approval via the
Internship Travel Request form. These payments are distributed in three payments and will be added to the
usual monthly cash award payment. The first of these payments is distributed the month prior to when the
Participant departs for the Internship."

As you can see from the 2nd sentence, the payments are added to the monthly stipend. This would make the most sense, as you get 25k per yer as long as you are in the program, and the payments are to help you live near the base for the internships. The prorate is for your first year, where you do not become a part of the program until August, then you typically end in May, leaving a few months you are not paid for.

Hope that helps!