2012 Applicants

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
tdmichael

2012 Applicants

Post by tdmichael »

Hi,

Has anyone received an email yet? I heard that an email will be sent after an applicant makes it through a review panel.

SN2012

Re: 2012 Applicants

Post by SN2012 »

Hi tdmichael,

Based on what I've read on an online discussion from last year, the applicants did not hear back from SMART until after the Academic Evaluation was completed (January 31st).

Good luck to you!

tdmichael

Post by tdmichael »

SN2012,

Ok thanks! Good luck to you as well :D

Post by Guest »

From someone that received an award last year... my best advice is to just stay patient!

Don't get too stressed out about the whole process. If you haven't noticed yet, deadlines and decisions often get pushed back frequently. I stressed way too much about it last year!

Good luck to you both!

Einstein

Post by Einstein »

Agreed.... patience. The government moves slowly. You will be notified once a decision is made. Good Luck!!!

yohnson

Post by yohnson »

For past year recipients:
I am wondering: It seems in previous years that non-semi-finalists were not notified. I realize that you'd have no firs-hand way of knowing, but do you recall from peers if this is true?

I'm trying to focus on my classes, and not think too hard about this application process, but today I've lapsed a little and can't stop thinking about it.

fuzzywuzzy691

Post by fuzzywuzzy691 »

Found this on this forum (link: http://thesmartforum.org/viewtopic.php? ... 597c#p1334 )

Yep...
by Guest » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:29 pm

Oh well, was a semi-finalist last year.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your interest in the SMART Scholarship-for-Service Program. This email is to inform you that you were not selected as a Semi-Finalist for an award under the SMART Program. As in past years, there were many more applicants than possible award slots. This year over, 3,300 applications were received, of those, 1,500 have been named Semi-Finalists. From this group of Semi-Finalists, approximately 250-300 awards will be made on or about March 31, 2011. Due to the high volume of applications received we are unable to provide feedback regarding your application.

We wish you well in your academic endeavors and encourage you to apply again during our next application period starting August 1, 2011.

Thank you,

The ASEE SMART Scholarship Program Team

Greengoroy

Post by Greengoroy »

Has anyone heard anything yet?

sirdrew

Post by sirdrew »

Hopefully we will hear something tomorrow. If not, I'll instant message my SMART contact at Robins AFB and see what they know.

impatient

Post by impatient »

funny how we're expected to apply on time but SMART can't honor their own deadline. 2 hours to prove me wrong i guess

RPI CSE

Post by RPI CSE »

impatient wrote:funny how we're expected to apply on time but SMART can't honor their own deadline. 2 hours to prove me wrong i guess
You were given a deadline to apply for a scholarship that will pay for all of your education and pay you to do it, given over 3 months to do it (if you started right at the beginning), and all of the information that needed to be provided was stuff about you which is a subject you should know fairly well.

SMART has a 1.5 month window (really one because of Christmas and new years, but we will call it 1.5) to look through over 3000 of those same applications. They have to spend that time deciding which 1500 people get a chance to be awarded the scholarship that could change their life and which ones aren't quite good enough, not saying those not picked are bad, but they need to make a hard choice and try to pick the best.

I know how frustrating it can be, I received they SMART scholarship last year and had to go through the pain of waiting and the delays, but realize that the people on the other end are actually people, and not just a pile of money that is waiting to be doled out.

Good luck to all waiting, hopefully you get good news soon!

sirdrew

Post by sirdrew »

My contact (who is on SMART panel) says that packets have been looked over (50% cut is done) and are currently at the Office of the Secretary of Defense. Problem is that we don't know where the ASEE fits in there. In other words, I don't know if the ASEE has the list of names or not. More waiting...... but the selections are done.

cmont4

Post by cmont4 »

Well it's nice to know the selections are done, but it's terrifying to still not know where we personally stand. Oh well, more waiting. Thank you though!

zankers

Post by zankers »

Glad to see other people haven't heard yet either... :\

Greengoroy

Post by Greengoroy »

So does anyone know when we are really suppose to find out??

pajamas

Post by pajamas »

I am thinking they will probably announce things next week, Tuesday-ish.

My reasoning is that it's already almost Thursday. Nothing gets done after Thursday, things rarely get sent out on Monday...so Tuesday it is.

sirdrew

Post by sirdrew »

pajamas wrote:I am thinking they will probably announce things next week, Tuesday-ish.

My reasoning is that it's already almost Thursday. Nothing gets done after Thursday, things rarely get sent out on Monday...so Tuesday it is.
Hmmmm... I like the way you think. You must be a retention candidate (i.e government employee) like me! :lol:

zankers

Post by zankers »

:D

Yeah, but they did manage to send off notification emails last year on a Monday.. ah well.

sirdrew

Post by sirdrew »

All applicants will be notified via email in the next several weeks letting them know whether or not their SMART application will continue on to the semi-finalist level.

Thank you for your patience.

Sincerely,

The ASEE SMART Program Team

NOOOO!!!! I knew better than to email them but I was so compelled to do so!!
Inbox burning hole in eyes!!SO WHITE, SO BLANK!!

zanks

Post by zanks »

asdfafadsfadsfafasdfadsfad

I guess.. good to know? Thanks for emailing them...

Guest2012

Post by Guest2012 »

In a phone concersation with an ASEE SMART Scholarship rep, I was told that emails would be sent out notifying applicants if they are still under consideration for receipt of the scholarship within the next couple weeks (phone call was on or about 2/3/12). There was no mention as to whether notification would go out about those are are no longer under consideration.

Artim

Post by Artim »

I was reading posts from last year and people were saying the were getting emails starting Feb. 14th (Happy Valentines day everyone?). If that's the case this year too, I just got a huge knot in my stomach

guest2012guest

Post by guest2012guest »

Loosing sleep over waiting for an answer. I'm guessing chances are it's a 'not selected'. I mean, look at how many applied and how few are selected. I just want to know so I can get some sleep. Praying I'm selected.... Checking email constantly. Can't sleep. Didn't even feel like eating dinner...stomach is in a knot over this waiting period for an answer. Patience. Patience. Patience....

anonymous711

Post by anonymous711 »

Don't give up hope! At this point, no news is good news, as I don't think anyone's found out anything. Remember you have a one in two chance at this point!