2012 Applicants

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
UMD_2012

Re: 2012 Applicants

Post by UMD_2012 »

AZGeologist wrote:It's only been three weeks since the 9th, geez people, you act like they should of had all of this planned out or something.
I see what you did there.

Post by Guest »

Interesting. The site says last updated April 26th. I'm still getting the same stuff on the awards page, though.

lindsay_lohan

Post by lindsay_lohan »

Yeah same error message for me on the awards page as well. Can anyone get into the awards page??

currentfed

Post by currentfed »

Guest wrote:Interesting. The site says last updated April 26th. I'm still getting the same stuff on the awards page, though.
I dunno - it looks like they just added an event to the event calendar on the site. I doubt it has anything to do with award decisions being made. Now, if they were to post an updated Participant Handbook, then I would expect we're getting closer to an announcement. But that page hasn't been updated since March.

I'm still getting the same error as usual on the awards page, as well.

Guest SK

Post by Guest SK »

My guess is that it is not happening today since nothing on the website has changed, my bets are on this Friday. I guess I should say my fingers are crossed for this Friday...

gatsby

Post by gatsby »

There's a lot of anxious people browsing the forum this morning... several hundred views in just a couple hours.

Guest 2012

Post by Guest 2012 »

gatsby wrote:There's a lot of anxious people browsing the forum this morning... several hundred views in just a couple hours.
I think we have the ASEE's lack of updates to thank for that. People are looking for any inkling of an update in any way they can. This is really the only way.

What would be considerate would be for ASEE to communicate more openly about what is going on with all of the applicants. Tell us what exactly is the hold up. If there are budgetary issues, tell us there are budget issues which may limit the number of awards this year to fewer than expected. If it is rewriting of the program guidelines/contract, tell us what requires rewriting. And let us know as decisions are made on any aspect of the program that is holding us up to give us hope that something is actually being accomplished.

With that all said, I have no schools waiting on my decision and nothing else that depends on whether I receive this, so the wait, albeit not fun, is inconsequential. But for others to whom it has been detrimental, I am sorry and wish there was more feedback on the process for all of us, but for you all specifically.

Update

Post by Update »

Well they changed the:
https://ndseg.asee.org/award
site to display that it isn't open yet...
which means we probably have at least a few more days to wait.

Post by Guest »

Update wrote:Well they changed the:
I thought NDSEG awards and notification went out last week?

2012_UMD

Post by 2012_UMD »

Guest wrote:
Update wrote:Well they changed the:
I thought NDSEG awards and notification went out last week?
Preliminary announcements went out two weeks ago. The deadline to accept was last week, so those that applied and didn't get a preliminary award were told that we'd here a yea or neigh by Friday. That didn't happen. So, some award announcements have gone out, but no rejection notices have, so there are hypothetically still awards to be given.

kael106

Post by kael106 »

Finally got a word back from SMART, and got accepted. So happy. :D Hopefully everyone else hears back soon. The wait is over.

In_Stitches

Post by In_Stitches »

kael106 wrote:Finally got a word back from SMART, and got accepted. So happy. :D Hopefully everyone else hears back soon. The wait is over.
Not to be rude, but I find this hard to believe. How exactly did you get a "word back" from SMART?

kael106

Post by kael106 »

In_Stitches wrote:
kael106 wrote:Finally got a word back from SMART, and got accepted. So happy. :D Hopefully everyone else hears back soon. The wait is over.
Not to be rude, but I find this hard to believe. How exactly did you get a "word back" from SMART?
I just got an email today.

Post by Guest »

kael106 wrote:
In_Stitches wrote:

hilarious...

then you wouldn't mind quoting it?

2012_UMD

Post by 2012_UMD »

kael106 wrote:
In_Stitches wrote:
I also find this hard to believ, and wouldn't necessarily believe a quoted email until you give reason why you recieved an obviously special notification, i.e. nobody else has heard word one.

Grishko

Post by Grishko »

So I'm not believing anyone heard anything until the mass email goes out. And since no one else has heard anything, I find it doubtful that anyone was accepted, since the previous emails from ASEE have told us repeatedly that nothing is official until you it from them, along with the rest of us.

I don't believe you, sorry I'm not sorry.

kael106

Post by kael106 »

Congratulations! The SMART Program Office (SPO) is pleased to offer you a scholarship under the Science,
Mathematics, And Research for Transformation Program (SMART or the Program) as described below. Additional
Program benefits and Participant requirements are detailed in the enclosed Participant Handbook. The Participant
Handbook and its updates, amendments, and inclusions are incorporated into this Award Notification and Service
Agreement by reference (the Award).

guest01234

Post by guest01234 »

Kael, can you log in to the awards page?

Post by Guest »

kael106 wrote:Congratulations! The SMART Program Office (SPO) is pleased to offer you a scholarship under the Science,
Mathematics, And Research for Transformation Program (SMART or the Program) as described below. Additional
Program benefits and Participant requirements are detailed in the enclosed Participant Handbook. The Participant
Handbook and its updates, amendments, and inclusions are incorporated into this Award Notification and Service
Easy way to prove this is legit:

Upload the attached handbook to http://dropsha.re and send us all the link...

If you upload the 2011 handbook, we know you're bluffing. If you can put the 2012 handbook up, then we can start to raise our blood pressure a little!

RPI CSE

Post by RPI CSE »

I would not believe kael106 just yet. The SPO always sends these awards out in large batches. The odds of him being the only one to hear anything today are virtually zero. Don't get discouraged if you didn't hear anything today, honestly I don't think anyone did. There would be significantly more posts about it by now.

2012_UMD

Post by 2012_UMD »

kael106 wrote:Congratulations! The SMART Program Office (SPO) is pleased to offer you a scholarship under the Science,
I call BS on this.

Post by Guest »

2012_UMD wrote:
I call BS on this.
+1

The SPO administers the scholarship. ASEE offers the scholarship. ASEE and SPO are on opposite sides of the country.

Nice try, kael.

Realtalk

Post by Realtalk »

Looks like the troll has stopped defending himself. I must admit, though, I was really hoping the announcement phase had begun.

currentfed

Post by currentfed »

Dude, if you're going to troll, you should at least learn to write a believable award notification. This sounds like it was cut and paste out of some legal document. At the very least, you could have patterned something on last year's notification, which is posted elsewhere on the forum. Fail.

At least I can feel good about myself on two levels, whether or not I get the award:
1. I'm not a dumb-ass troll
2. If I was, I would be way more awesome at it than this one.

Chris Moulder

Post by Chris Moulder »

You guys are just getting more neurotic as time goes on
Attachments
pageviews.JPG
views.JPG