2012 Applicants

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
smart_hopeful

Re: 2012 Applicants

Post by smart_hopeful »

In_Stitches wrote:A point of contact for the army said that (as of 3:00 PM) the ASEE has yet approve the budget for the various Army awardees. Considering what us going on on the recipients side, this makes me question the likelhood of hearing back today or even tomorrow.
If true, this is about the dumbest thing ever. I can pretty much guarantee that if our applications had been submitted at 5:01 pm on the deadline day, they would have gone straight into the circular file.

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

smart_hopeful wrote:
In_Stitches wrote:A point of contact for the army said that (as of 3:00 PM) the ASEE has yet approve the budget for the various Army awardees. Considering what us going on on the recipients side, this makes me question the likelhood of hearing back today or even tomorrow.
If true, this is about the dumbest thing ever. I can pretty much guarantee that if our applications had been submitted at 5:01 pm on the deadline day, they would have gone straight into the circular file.
This happened to me last year (December 2010). And yes it went straight to the trash although all was left for me to submit it. I learned my lesson.

2012_UMD

Post by 2012_UMD »

Welp, such is life; what are you gonna do. It looks like we should busy ourselves until the magic moment when we see the email in our inbox.

theREALveryanxious

Post by theREALveryanxious »

I feel like just pretending that I didn't get it. That way I'm not glued to my e-mail and stressed. And also, if I do get the e-mail that says "Congratulations" I will be pleasantly surprised. (No expectations, no disappointments right?). Lastly, I can move on with my life, doing what I would have normally done assuming I didn't get the scholarship anyway (meaning I'm not wasting time).

I know I'm a hypocrite because I constantly check these boards and my e-mail, but I don't hold my breath anymore.

sighs

Post by sighs »

clearly smart does not have it's act together....sighs...did you guys hear about how they tried to reduce funding of current recipents for internships, and people were hollering "breach of contract" so they revoked their decision to do so...what kind of operation is being run here?

seriouslytho

Post by seriouslytho »

What perplexes me though, is that last year they got their emails out on exactly the day they said they would- April 1st. this year they had 8 extra days in April, and leap day... and they're still late.

I'm not angry or accusatory, I'm just wondering why its taking them so much longer this year.

aerostudd

Post by aerostudd »

I have emailed the contact at the SF I had an interview with, asking when we should be notified. During the interview she was super cool and told me if I had any question after the interview just to email her. I guess this counts. lol. I haven't received a response. I know she may not know but maybe she was an idea....

bitingmynails

Post by bitingmynails »

well...like the rest of us, I'm still waiting. What I'm curious about is feedback from interviews and whether or not that actually holds with the ultimate decision. I was interviewed by two different places and got very good feedback. One interviewer even said that I should hear something positive from SMART. However, I'm wondering how much power the interviewers really have. In other words, are there other considerations, such as funding? Is anyone else in this boat?

Because of the feedback I really started to get mentally and emotionally invested (even though I tried not to) and now I think I'll be really dissapointed if I don't get it. I'm particularly interested in if there is someone out there who got good feedback in the past and then didn't get in.

aerostudd

Post by aerostudd »

I am in the same boat. I had two very very promising interviews, one of which was an interview for a position in a research lab that wasn't going to take a smart scholar this year. An upper supervisor at that SF made sure I was interviewed because of my background. I have been thinking I have a pretty good chance of getting this, at either facilities. But like its been said, its all up to funding issues/need. I will pretty bummed if I dont get this.

Post by Guest »

I'm glad this forum wasn't here when I got my award. I would have had a heart attack, like some of you guys are going to do.

Guest14

Post by Guest14 »

So, I had forgotten what day we were supposed to hear back until today. Once I remembered I checked this forum to make sure I wasn't the only one still waiting. I'm glad to see I'm not but at the same time I'm nervous. I jump every time my email buzzes. ...Like just now... I've been going on the assumption I am not getting the scholarship but I REALLY can't wait until I have conformation.

stillwaiting

Post by stillwaiting »

seriouslytho wrote:What perplexes me though, is that last year they got their emails out on exactly the day they said they would- April 1st. this year they had 8 extra days in April, and leap day... and they're still late.

I'm not angry or accusatory, I'm just wondering why its taking them so much longer this year.
I'm not 100% sure, but I think I remember getting an email while I was applying that said the deadline would be extended 2 weeks because it was 2 weeks late being posted. If this is right then I would think we will hear on Friday. That would be the same timeline as last year when those 2 weeks and leap day are considered.

karnaa2

Post by karnaa2 »

Another day of waiting wasted. Hopefully tomorrow's the day!

Chris Moulder

Post by Chris Moulder »

Hey everyone, I think there's a name for today..it's something along the lines of "Tipsy Tuesday."
Relax a little

Cheers
Chris

BandofApplicants

Post by BandofApplicants »

April 11 2012 - SN Day +2

After 2 days of patrols activity has seemed to reach a lull. This gave me time to collect myself and count who was still with us. I know we lost Bill, Cowboy, and Polwaski. Bill gave his name and address out while patrolling the SMART forum and never came back, I fear the worst. Cowboy went down from exhaustion of repeated email refreshing. Polwaski went to the CP for shell shock when he tried to login to the awards page for the 10,000th time. I still couldn't sleep, I know that ASEE could counter attack at any time with a barage of emails and I must stay on my toes.

Stay Frosty!

daGhost

Post by daGhost »

BandofApplicants wrote:April 11 2012 - SN Day +2

After 2 days of patrols activity has seemed to reach a lull. This gave me time to collect myself and count who was still with us. I know we lost Bill, Cowboy, and Polwaski. Bill gave his name and address out while patrolling the SMART forum and never came back, I fear the worst. Cowboy went down from exhaustion of repeated email refreshing. Polwaski went to the CP for shell shock when he tried to login to the awards page for the 10,000th time. I still couldn't sleep, I know that ASEE could counter attack at any time with a barage of emails and I must stay on my toes.

Stay Frosty!
Epic.

jmuuuuu

Post by jmuuuuu »

BandofApplicants wrote:April 11 2012 - SN Day +2

Stay Frosty!
#winning

green31OSU

Post by green31OSU »

Just tried calling the SMART office. Just like someone who called yesterday, I went straight to voicemail. My guess is they're just ignoring all of the phone calls, since more than likely they're all about the same thing.

Post by Guest »

I just tried calling/emailing the SMART FP at the base I interviewed with. Last time I emailed, he responded within the day. So, here's to hoping he knows something about what's going on...

UMDDDD

Post by UMDDDD »

Email i got from SMART:

ASEE has been notified by the Department of Defense that the 2012 SMART Scholarship award announcements have been delayed. Award notifications are now expected to be sent out at some point in the next few weeks. Once the Department of Defense provides another update this information will be provided to you. All applicants will be notified of their final award status. Thank you for your interest in the SMART Scholarship Program.

The ASEE SMART Scholarship Team

aeroswag

Post by aeroswag »

Over the next few weeks? lolwat

Greengoroy

Post by Greengoroy »

Just got an email from smart that the application process is delayed asks we will find out in the next few weeks. Yet more waiting.....

2012_UMD

Post by 2012_UMD »

UMDDDD wrote:Email i got from SMART:

ASEE has been notified by the Department of Defense that the 2012 SMART Scholarship award announcements have been delayed. Award notifications are now expected to be sent out at some point in the next few weeks. Once the Department of Defense provides another update this information will be provided to you. All applicants will be notified of their final award status. Thank you for your interest in the SMART Scholarship Program.

The ASEE SMART Scholarship Team

Just got this to. I wish this had gone out on Friday so my week wouldn't have been spent waiting for an announcement that wasn't going to come.

Sadhopeful

Post by Sadhopeful »

I just got the same email. I thought it was the one! Talking about a heart skipping a beat.

green31OSU

Post by green31OSU »

Well....this sucks. I wonder if the delay is due to them scrambling to figure out their funding situation with regard to internship payments?