2012 Applicants

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
Tico Suave

Re: 2012 Applicants

Post by Tico Suave »

Yea I just tried to login too. I even went to reset the password but it said my email was not in the system... bummer. I hope this does not reflect on my acceptance!

ChillinOot

Post by ChillinOot »

I am definitely with everyone in terms of worrying and freaking out... but why are we thinking that we'll hear something before the announced date of April 9th? I seriously doubt they would send anything out early. Lets all just enjoy our weekend!

xkcd13

Post by xkcd13 »

Last year they sent the acceptance email at 5 (PDT) on friday. So it could be late today!

dubious

Post by dubious »

xkcd13 wrote:Last year they sent the acceptance email at 5 (PDT) on friday. So it could be late today!
To be specific, last year they sent out acceptance emails at 5 on the day they said they would send them out. So the emails probably won't be today. But the back-end stuff might be prepared today! (i.e. being able to log onto the awards website if you've been accepted)

Trying2Relax

Post by Trying2Relax »

Just curious, do the SFs get advance notification of their candidates being awarded or are they only notified when an awardee acepts the scholarship and selects them as a SF. I'd logically suspect the latter, but thought to pose the question anyway.

Guest 2012

Post by Guest 2012 »

Trying2Relax wrote:Just curious, do the SFs get advance notification of their candidates being awarded or are they only notified when an awardee acepts the scholarship and selects them as a SF. I'd logically suspect the latter, but thought to pose the question anyway.
1) If awarded a scholarship, we do NOT choose a sponsoring facility. Our choice is to accept or not accept the scholarship, as is, which included a mandated sponsoring facility appointed by the SMART Program Office.

2) It would therefore seem logical that SFs are not told that a candidate has been offered a scholarship, as they are not guaranteed that it will be accepted.

1 is true based on all the info found on the SMART website, but 2 is an assumption that makes sense to me.

2012_UMD

Post by 2012_UMD »

Guest 2012 wrote:
Trying2Relax wrote:Just curious, do the SFs get advance notification of their candidates being awarded or are they only notified when an awardee acepts the scholarship and selects them as a SF. I'd logically suspect the latter, but thought to pose the question anyway.
1) If awarded a scholarship, we do NOT choose a sponsoring facility. Our choice is to accept or not accept the scholarship, as is, which included a mandated sponsoring facility appointed by the SMART Program Office.

2) It would therefore seem logical that SFs are not told that a candidate has been offered a scholarship, as they are not guaranteed that it will be accepted.

1 is true based on all the info found on the SMART website, but 2 is an assumption that makes sense to me.

A quote from the email that let me know I've been recommended to the next round: "If you have more than one agency interested in sponsoring you, you have the opportunity to select the sponsoring agency."

Guest 2012

Post by Guest 2012 »

2012_UMD wrote:
Guest 2012 wrote:

A quote from the email that let me know I've been recommended to the next round: "If you have more than one agency interested in sponsoring you, you have the opportunity to select the sponsoring agency."
Interesting that they would make it seem so set in stone throughout the application and then include something like that. Maybe you don't actually pick once you get your award offer, but rather they call and ask your preferences, as has been reported by several people earlier in the thread?

Either way that seems strange, but I suppose that is a nice opportunity for anyone in whom more than one agency is interested.

WaitingIsFun

Post by WaitingIsFun »

2012_UMD wrote:
Guest 2012 wrote:

I interviewed with multiple SF and was contacted recently by SMART to see if I wanted to change my SF priority list. Based on that I think it might be true that you do have a say in which SF you go to if you get multiple recommendations (through your priority list) but that the scholarship offer is for a single SF.

Purely hypothetical at this point but I wanted to point out that it is possible you are both right.

coolio

Post by coolio »

anybody able to log in to the award site successfully yet?

currentfed

Post by currentfed »

2012_UMD wrote:
Guest 2012 wrote:

My understanding of that quote is that our "opportunity to select the sponsoring agency" occurs if/when the SPO calls you during their selection process these past few weeks. I remember a few people posting that SMART called them, and most of those people said that SMART asked them to choose among two or more sponsoring agencies that recommended them.

I think this must be the case, because they try to regulate the number of SMART scholars each agency gets each year. So if they let us choose after offering the award, they couldn't control the number of scholars per sponsoring agency.

HomerIsSMRT

Post by HomerIsSMRT »

You should think of yourself as a widget. If selected, the SPO will actually tell you this during the orientation. You must be eligible for the scholarship academically, and a facility must have a need for you (the widget). If you are selected by a facility, that facility "sponsors" you for the scholarship. Thus the facility is expecting a specific widget upon graduation. If you have multiple facilities that are willing to sponsor a particular widget, you decide during orientation which facility you want as your sponsor. If there is only one facility interested in sponsoring you, that is the facility you go to. You will also if you get selected, have the opportunity to meet with representatives from the facility that sponsors you at the orientation.

In_Stitches

Post by In_Stitches »

Ugh. This weekend is going to be tortuous, and the worse part will be all waiting around on Monday hoping that we actually get an answer by the end of the business day. Everyone I talk to keeps saying, "Oh, be positive, you'll probably get it." I'm like, "PEOPLE! Understand: there is a difference between nervousness and anxiety." I'm hopeful, but I just fucking want to know!

guessssss

Post by guessssss »

In_Stitches wrote:Ugh. This weekend is going to be tortuous, and the worse part will be all waiting around on Monday hoping that we actually get an answer by the end of the business day. Everyone I talk to keeps saying, "Oh, be positive, you'll probably get it." I'm like, "PEOPLE! Understand: there is a difference between nervousness and anxiety." I'm hopeful, but I just fucking want to know!
so currently trying to login, still no luck

interesting

Post by interesting »

guessssss wrote:
In_Stitches wrote:Ugh. This weekend is going to be tortuous, and the worse part will be all waiting around on Monday hoping that we actually get an answer by the end of the business day. Everyone I talk to keeps saying, "Oh, be positive, you'll probably get it." I'm like, "PEOPLE! Understand: there is a difference between nervousness and anxiety." I'm hopeful, but I just fucking want to know!
so currently trying to login, still no luck

anyone have luck logging in?

HomerIsSMRT

Post by HomerIsSMRT »

You don't need to "log-in" to anything once you get the scholarship. All the forms are available under the "Participants" tab. Trying to "log-in" to the "system" is a big waste of time.

Guest2smrt

Post by Guest2smrt »

Not trying to start anything here, but that language isn't very appropriate on so many levels. Very offensive and unprofessional!

chillpill

Post by chillpill »

HomerIsSMRT wrote:You don't need to "log-in" to anything once you get the scholarship. All the forms are available under the "Participants" tab. Trying to "log-in" to the "system" is a big waste of time.
ah, you're no fun...stop being so serious

actually

Post by actually »

HomerIsSMRT wrote:You don't need to "log-in" to anything once you get the scholarship. All the forms are available under the "Participants" tab. Trying to "log-in" to the "system" is a big waste of time.
From the forum last year, the acceptance email stated

**NOT AN EMAIL FROM THIS YEAR**:"Congratulations! We are pleased to inform you that you have been awarded a scholarship under the Science, Mathematics, And Research for Transformation Program. Please go to https://smart.asee.org/award for information regarding your award offer. Your login information is the same as that used for your application. Please pay close attention to the due dates for requested materials.

Again, congratulations on your award.

The ASEE SMART Scholarship Program Team"

I.e. you had to "log-in" to the "system", and those who were not accepted were not able to log in to the system. It's not that big of a leap to think that perhaps they will have these log-ins enabled before they send out the emails.

flying

Post by flying »

So, if we are not able to sign in now, does that mean we were not awarded this year? Honestly, has anybody been able to log in, I feel like if somebody was actually able to log in it would be posted on here like crazy. Lets try and all stay positive. Its already been a rough week. Monday is going to be super nerve wrecking!

thankyou

Post by thankyou »

thank you Actually and Flying....geez Homrissrmt :-P

In_Stitches

Post by In_Stitches »

Guest2smrt wrote:
Not trying to start anything here, but that language isn't very appropriate on so many levels. Very offensive and unprofessional!
Sorry if I offended, but please take the statement in context. Language was added only for emphasis, just as someone would say, "I'm pulling my hair out" or, "This is nail biting".

HomerIsSMRT

Post by HomerIsSMRT »

I never had to "log-in" to anything, although I turned in all my materials on-time. I am just trying to help. If you want to sit in front of your computer and attempt to "log-in" by all means help yourself.

Relax

Post by Relax »

Guest2smrt wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8XlMYe_2Lo

In_Stitches

Post by In_Stitches »

Relax wrote:
Guest2smrt wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8XlMYe_2Lo
Not exactly what I meant, but that was funny. Seriously, sorry to offend.