2012 Applicants

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.

Re: 2012 Applicants

Post by Guest »

So the data base with all the semi finalist went out to all the sponsoring facilities last week. As to why none of the semi finalist have been notified yet is a mystery to me but I would imagine it would have to be this week. It won't be long before people start getting phone calls about interviews so it has to be very soon.

guest2012guest

Post by guest2012guest »

PLEASE if any of you guys get contacted, please let us know so at least we know some of the agencies are working on the list. Is it true that those that were not selected won't even know until the very end? Anyone know when the cut-off date is for agencies to contact those of us that were forwarded on to the agencies. At this point, I'm checking email every couple of minutes. Any of you guys been reading previous years' posts? It doesn't seem to be as active here as it was in previous years.

juandell

Post by juandell »

Tell me about it I'm in the middle of writing a paper and I am having a hard time focusing....

juandell

Post by juandell »

sorry wrong thread....

Guest123456789

Post by Guest123456789 »

I can confirm the prior guest's statement that the center's have received the lists. I can confirm that some centers are already working on the lists. Hope this helps to some extent...

guest54321

Post by guest54321 »

I was contacted by a naval facility this morning requesting an interview.

I am applying for Masters.

Guest 2012

Post by Guest 2012 »

guest54321 wrote:I was contacted by a naval facility this morning requesting an interview.

A masters in what field?

guest54321

Post by guest54321 »

Guest 2012 wrote:
guest54321 wrote:I was contacted by a naval facility this morning requesting an interview.

A masters in what field?
Aero

tdmichael

Post by tdmichael »

So are we not to expect an email at this point... only a call from a facility if there's a chance?

Guest 2012

Post by Guest 2012 »

guest54321 wrote:
Guest 2012 wrote:

A masters in what field?
Aero
Well congrats on the call, though that doesn't necessarily mean much. But a call this early, I would take as a good sign. Good luck to you.

Guestt

Post by Guestt »

tdmichael wrote:So are we not to expect an email at this point... only a call from a facility if there's a chance?
I don't understand people's propensity for making unfounded assumptions. Several people have stated that in conversations with ASEE representatives, they were told that the lists had been forwarded for review at sponsoring facilities (meaning they have the right to proceed with their interview process), however, an email would be sent out in a few weeks to let people know if they were still under consideration.

No one ever said you will not receive an email or that sponsoring facilities would not contact candidates until an email was sent.

sirdrew

Post by sirdrew »

Just talked with my SMART POC and she confirmed with the SMART office that I and another retention candidate did NOT get selected this year. I find that odd as we were the only two candidates applying at our base (which is a major base who has not had a retention candidate before). Something is definitely off with the scholarship program this year....

Post by 12345 »

To be fair, the first round of cuts isn't based on anything except for the quality of the application - I don't think they take into account whether or not you're retention, or the SMART history at your base. Still, sorry you didn't make it!

sirdrew

Post by sirdrew »

I understand that and I don't want to discourage anyone. Everyone at my base thought for sure that my references (two GS-14s and a SES who is Director of Engineering at my base) or an IT manager seeking a doctorate would make some kind of progress. I still can't believe they haven't sent out emails....... but I did hear that the NPS is not handling it anymore. Its actually the Office of the Secretary of Defense who funds it. Still, they've had the list made up for a few weeks now. I hope next year is better.

guestguestguest

Post by guestguestguest »

sirdrew wrote:Just talked with my SMART POC and she confirmed with the SMART office that I and another retention candidate did NOT get selected this year. I find that odd as we were the only two candidates applying at our base (which is a major base who has not had a retention candidate before). Something is definitely off with the scholarship program this year....
Sir, I understand your dissapointment, but I agree the other person's comment. This program is extremely competitive. I don't know if there is any preference towards retention candidates. In fact, showing preference to retention candidates may open themselves to unnecessary liability. The applications might have been ranked from one to 3000+, and the top 50% forwarded to participating DOD organizations.

For example, a couple of young engineers in our organization applied. They had 3.85+ GPAs through their Bachelors, Masters, and all PHD coursework combined. They had 780+ GREs in math and recommendation letters though their chain of commands (GS15s). They haven't heard back yet, either. Pretty competitive...

guest01234

Post by guest01234 »

Does anyone know if we'll get e-mailed of we're not selected or if we're an alternate so we have know? Still havn't heard anything and keeping my fingers crossed! This scholership would be a game-changer for my family!! =)

glass

Post by glass »

I just received my email. I did NOT move to the next round. A little surprised as my research is carried out at several US DoD/DoE labs and some of our lab's grants have come from DoD in the past. I feel I had a fairly competitive application, but this is the SMART scholarship. Oh well, not the end of the world.

Good luck to others!

cmont4

Post by cmont4 »

I JUST GOT AN EMAIL! I'm moving on to the next round!!!!! :D

Brian

Post by Brian »

Email!!

SEMI-FINALIST!!!!! Good luck, everyone!!

Greengoroy

Post by Greengoroy »

Me too!!!!!!

happy

Post by happy »

Got the "eligible for next phase" email!

VT_Engineering

Post by VT_Engineering »

Dear ,

We are pleased to inform you that your application has been reviewed and you are eligible for the next phase of the Department of Defense (DoD) SMART scholarship selection process. As part of this process, you may be contacted for an interview.

The 2012 SMART Scholarship-for-Service awards will be announced on or about April 9, 2012. This email is not a promise of an award.

Please be advised that the American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE) is the only entity that can officially inform you of your award status.

We congratulate you on your success thus far. If you have any questions, please contact us at smart@asee.org.

On behalf of the DoD,
Thank you,

ASEE SMART Scholarship Team
SMART Scholarship Program

Laura

Post by Laura »

I made it to the next round, too! Congrats to everyone else.

tdmichael

Post by tdmichael »

Yay!! I made it too! Congrats!

mrbill333

Post by mrbill333 »

I received an email today as well confirming I am eligible for the next round! Good luck to all!