PSA: IC Sponsoring Facilities (DIA, NGIC, etc)

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.
ICscholar

PSA: IC Sponsoring Facilities (DIA, NGIC, etc)

Post by ICscholar »

This info is for anybody who might be considering an Intelligence Community (IC) agency as their sponsoring facility (SF) or has received a SMART scholarship offer from one.

Anecdotal evidence seems to show that it's fairly easy to get a SMART scholarship position with an IC SF because not many people put them as a preference and they like to recruit heavily from the SMART program to get science and technology people. Historically, they have a difficult time hiring S&T people because the work isn't hands on and the pay isn't great, especially for an engineer.

I want you to know that these facilities DO NOT do any true engineering or R&D work.

90% of the time, you will be placed in an analyst position, where your primary job function is to read literature and write reports. You will also most likely work in a secure facility where you can't have your phone and there will be many restrictions on what you can use regular internet for. You will also be on the DCIPS evaluation and pay system which is different from the rest of the federal government.

There is also little to no negotiation of your starting salary. B.S. degrees start at GS 7 (step 5 if your lucky) and Master's degrees start at GS 9. And because most IC agencies use DCIPS, they don't have to honor the special salary rates that OPM sets for engineers.

If you're considering an IC agency or get an offer from one, think very hard about it. If reading and writing all day is your thing, great. If it isn't, there is very good chance you won't be happy with your career.

ICscholar

Re: PSA: IC Sponsoring Facilities (DIA, NGIC, etc)

Post by ICscholar »

If you have any questions, you can find me on the Discord: https://discord.gg/nwW7PYbk

NikitaRL

Re: PSA: IC Sponsoring Facilities (DIA, NGIC, etc)

Post by NikitaRL »

I'm applying this year and am thinking about selecting IC, since I'm a math major with a preference for theoretical rather than applied math. What will the reading and writing include? More applied or theoretical math? I've also heard that ML is in high demand, but can't figure out which facilities prize it the most (since ML is highly connected to theoretical math). What is the relationship IC facilities have with ML?