interviews?

Answers to various questions regarding the SMART Scholarship application process. Includes many tips and statistics.

Re: interviews?

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:05 pm
SMART’s Instagram said SFs are in the process of making their final award selections…. So I’m guessing that since I haven’t been contacted for an interview yet I probably shouldn’t expect one

Crossing my fingers that I’m one of those lucky people that gets selected without an interview
I think that it happens. It said in the semifinalist email that no contact from an SF is not an indication that you haven’t been selected.

frankiesmith

Post by frankiesmith »

vmberman wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:32 pm
I set up a group interview for next Monday with two USACE districts - Rock Island & Omaha!

Does anyone have any experience with USACE??
How did your interview go??
Applicant
GPA: 3.8
Pursuing: BS in Information Technology w/ SysAdmin & CyberSec Concentration

frankiesmith

Post by frankiesmith »

Jackson7 wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:24 pm
Hi! So I just got a missed call from San Francisco, one of the cities for my top choices, and when my phone thinks it’s a scam it won’t ring, only show me the missed call. When I google the number there’s no “scam found” or even any information on it, which makes me think it was an SF calling. Do SFs call again? Or reach out via email? I really hope I didn’t mess up this opportunity if it was an SF calling.
In the two instances I've had with SFs, one reached out via email and the other via phone call.

The one that called, I answered but hung up because I thought it was a scam call. And they called back! Thankfully.

I hope this isn't too late, or that you ended up calling back!
Applicant

Post by Guest »

Don’t be discouraged—two of the SFs I reached out to are just going to start interviewing this week. :)

Post by Guest »

For those that have gotten phone calls, did the area codes match the locations? I’ve received a couple of calls that I can’t find any results for on Google (can’t determine if they are spam, assuming they are)

frankiesmith

Post by frankiesmith »

Guest wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:05 pm
For those that have gotten phone calls, did the area codes match the locations? I’ve received a couple of calls that I can’t find any results for on Google (can’t determine if they are spam, assuming they are)
The phone calls I got matched the area code.
My phone also lets me know if a number is possibly spam, and these calls were not marked as spam.
The calls also had a green check mark next to the phone number.

This is just my experience, tho.

You should be able to call those numbers back.
Applicant

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:59 pm
Don’t be discouraged—two of the SFs I reached out to are just going to start interviewing this week. :)
Which facilities?

Post by Guest »

frankiesmith wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:12 pm
Guest wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:05 pm
The phone calls I got matched the area code.
My phone also lets me know if a number is possibly spam, and these calls were not marked as spam.
The calls also had a green check mark next to the phone number.

This is just my experience, tho.

You should be able to call those numbers back.
Got it, thank you! They didn’t leave voicemails though? I figured if it were actually anyone at a SF then they’d leave a voicemail

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:59 pm
Would you share which SFs you contacted?

maxdiversity

Post by maxdiversity »

Not necessarily the case. I know several are still interviewing this week. Just got called today from SF not on my list for interviews this week. SFS have until 15 March to submit selections to DoD. Then DoD decide which SF selections to award.

Post by Guest »

maxdiversity wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:10 pm
Not necessarily the case. I know several are still interviewing this week. Just got called today from SF not on my list for interviews this week. SFS have until 15 March to submit selections to DoD. Then DoD decide which SF selections to award.
Where did you hear march 15th?

Post by Guest »

A friend who interviewed with SF in carderock. thinking there's some truth as I know a few who have interviews throughout this week, even on Friday..

aqzws

Post by aqzws »

Has anyone received communication from NIWC Pacific (San Diego)?

Post by Guest »

✓ Got contacted Monday and had an interview this morning.
It was from a SF on my list, but a different career field than my studies.
:arrow: Heads up - the interviewer said that they do rate on how flexible you are about the actual subject of your work.

Jenatic

Post by Jenatic »

lookingforinfo wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:14 pm
Just curious to see if anyone has been contacted yet for an interview?
haven't been contacted yet. My major is Aerospace Engineering, how about you?

vmberman

Post by vmberman »

frankiesmith wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:15 pm
vmberman wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:32 pm
I set up a group interview for next Monday with two USACE districts - Rock Island & Omaha!

Does anyone have any experience with USACE??
How did your interview go??
I think it went really well! I was really interested in the woman I spoke to from the Omaha district - she's a construction project manager for military construction out in Colorado - literally a dream! The two guys from Rock Island were super nice but it's just not the work or geographical location I'm interested in. It was certainly a great experience though. We'll see how it really went once decisions come out!

Nschulz1

Post by Nschulz1 »

I did my interview last week. It was super chill not what I was expecting honestly mostly just telling me about what type of research they do at their facility etc. only talked briefly about my past experience eduction etc. is this normal?

Post by Guest »

I have an interview today. I previously interned with this lab and my internship supervisor is the one giving the interview. What are my odds of being offered a scholarship?

retention

Post by retention »

Coming from a retention scholar applicant I have had more communications with my SF and the PoC managing SMART here. March 15th (today) is the deadline for SFs to make a selection in the SMART portal. I know my BC has already found my name in the portal and selected me. Now I think it's just a matter of waiting a few weeks for SMART to verify all the selections and send out notifications.

Post by Guest »

My interview is late this afternoon.. here’s hoping I’m a last minute selection

Post by Guest »

Had a great interview with my top choice today! They seem to really want me as a scholar. What’re the odds of SMART acceptance if your SF recommended you after the interview?

current scholar

Post by current scholar »

From my understanding, SMART looks at what the interviewer said, and then they weigh things like your school, how much tuition costs, if you might have trouble getting a clearance, etc., and make eliminations based off of that. That being said just because your tuition is pricey or just because you’re school isn’t as competitive doesn’t mean you won’t get selected, there’s a lot of things they weigh. Don’t worry too much, especially if they seemed to like you. That being said I do think tuition plays quite a bit in it. But that’s like if you’re going to some insanely expensive university, and honestly if it’s a prestigious school they might still approve it, given they normally wouldn’t get those kids out of college.

Post by Guest »

Nice. My university is like ~$8,000 a year and I’m only requesting 2 years so I think that won’t be a problem. The SF I interviewed with is the in the Navy and has taken in about 100 scholars since the inception of SMART so I think that approves my odds as well.